What Hurts The Most

"Hi." I breathe out, my voice weak but I know she hears me.

I just stand in the doorway staring at the Mrs. Diaz. Her bottom lip is quivering as I scan her face to try and read the situation. The sound of my breath the only thing that echoes through my ears and before I know it I'm pulled into a tight hug.

"Emma! My beautiful girl. It's so good to have you home." I smile into her shoulder as I wrap my arms around Maria. We stand there for a long time as she just squeezes tightly. I let her get it out as I try to match the strength of her embrace.

She pats my back and I know she's done with the first hug. She steps back, letting me go.

"Are you hungry? I can fix you something real, quick. Your favorite?" She asks as we walk further into the house. I look around at the same pictures of McKenzie that I passed by everyday when I came to see her and hang out. Her face is everywhere and my heart aches a little. How Maria passes these every day and manages to smile amazes me.

"No thank you." I reply softly. "I just ate."

She turns to a scans my body. I sigh and grin. I know she's not going to let up that easily.

"You're wasting away, they can't be feeding you well, you're a growing girl. I'll fry you up some platanos at least for you to munch on while we talk."

I press my very full belly and whimper a bit. I mumble out an okay and follow her into the kitchen. She points to a seat at the kitchen table and I silently oblige. I take what used to be my usual seat and scoot it under the table. I look at the empty one next to me and place my hand on the cushion. I run my hand smoothly over the fabric and sigh. It's McKenzie's seat. I'm not sure who the last person was to sit in it but to me it will always be hers.

I look at Maria as she digs into the fridge. She's been in there a long time for someone that's only making platanos.

"Maria por favor, you don't have to honestly." I tell her sweetly and get up from my seat. I swiftly rush to her side and guide her out from the fridge. I place my hand on her lower back and she backs out with a ton of things in her hands. "That's not only platanos." I tease and she comes out with all the ingredients necessary to make my favorite, pastelon. I shake my head and look at her. She turns to place everything on the counter. I make sure to move out of the way, she's on a mission but I wish she weren't I just want to sit with her and as bad as it sounds get this over with.

"Escuchame." I say with a light laugh. "I'm not hungry. I came to see you. Now you come sit with me and stop fiddling with all this food. I'll come back another time for dinner."

I think I said what she needed to hear. I think the food is to keep me here longer in case I don't come back. I think though if I can get through this, this one time, the next time won't be so hard. She grabs my face and kisses me on the cheek. I lightly pat her shoulder and escort her towards the table. She sits in the seat that I know to be hers and I take mine. I grab her hands and look her in the eyes.

"I'm sorry I took so long to see you..."

She shakes her head. "Don't apologize. I know this has been as hard on you as it has on me."

"I should have come sooner though." She shushes me, waving me off.

"I'm just glad you came at all." A small smile appears at her lips. "I've really missed you around here. It's been so quiet without the three of you running up and down the stairs to grab food, or George chasing McKenzie around for something she called him." We both chuckle at the memory and sigh out of our laughter soon after.