Chapter Fourteen: The Groups

Iosha grabs Josh’s arm as the tall boy passes her. “I need to talk to you,” she says quietly. The group was walking to Yyawa, to meet up with the rest of Iosha and Rose’s group. Josh slows his walk and looks at Iosha curiously. 

“Yes?” Josh asks, pulling his arm from Iosha’s grip. “What do you want?”

“You and Rose,” Iosha starts, looking at him with upsetting eyes. 

“What about Rose and I?” he asks, crossing his arms.

“Do you know what happened while you were gone?” she asks quietly. Josh’s feelings changes, moving from curious to confused. He shakes his head and sighs, looking back at the dirt path as they walk slowly behind the group. “Well, I nearly lost her, three times,” Iosha begins, she too watching the dirt path ahead. “The first time was after her mother died.”

“Jasmine is dead?” Josh asks suddenly, turning to Iosha and grabbing her shoulders. “How? When? Tell me!” he says, shaking her slightly.

“You don’t know?” she asks, her voice shaking. Josh shakes his head. “There was a fire. A stupid prank from a couple of boys in town. Rose and Aiden barely made it out.. but Jasmine.. she didn’t,” Iosha says, forcing air from her lungs. The words felt like poison to her. “It tore Rose and Aiden, the fighting between them began. They decided to leave Majali and S’ythgarr.”

Josh stares blankly at Iosha, registering the words that just left her mouth. He opens his mouth to speak, but no words come. “Rose hurt,” Josh hears Dusha’s gruff voice say from above. He looks up, seeing Dusha soar silently about ten feet above him. “Aiden too,” he sighs. Josh had never heard this tone in the tough dragon’s voice. This soft, sympathetic voice. 

“Rose and Aiden were heartbroken,” Iosha sighs, blinking away tears. Alough Iosha was stong, and rarely cried, the memories hurt more than a fresh wound.”The night I met them, Rose was half alive. She had thrown herself off of one of the buildings, the only reason she was alive is because of Aiden barely being able to catch her. She had broken some ribs and her collar bone. She was out cold for a long time, I swore she wouldn’t wake,” Iosha says, trying to be strong. She looks at Rose who walked a few yards ahead of her. Rose wore black ripped jeans and a dirty white tank top. A brown leather jacket covered her, keeping herself warm. She ran her fingers though her unbrushed hair, a headband pulled it from her face. 

“Rose...” Josh whispers, not wanting Iosha’s words to be true. 

“The second time, Rose was alone in her room. She was remembering you and what you both had. She missed you and had decided that you had been killed on your travels. She wanted to be with you..although you weren’t dead,” Iosha sighs. Her hands trembling. “The third time..” she begins.

“Stop,” Josh sighs, putting his hand on Iosha’s arm. “Please,” he asks.

“Alright,” she says, not wanting to talk about the third time.

“It’s the scar on her neck, isn’t it?” he asks, remembering the long, thick white line on her neck. Iosha nods slowly. 

“No more sad talk,” Dusha sighs, landing in the dirt behind Josh and Iosha. He stretches his legs and walks behind them. “Rose happy now,” he sighs.

“How do you know?” Josh asks, looking back at Dusha. 

“I do,” Dusha says simply.

~*~*~

“Hello, Rose,” Chloe smiles as she walks quicker to catch up to the girl. “How are you?” she asks sweetly.

Rose shoots the dark skinned woman a look. “Considering the hell around me, I am fine,” he grumbles. “How are you,” she says quietly. Chloe smiles.