Chapter Thirteen: White Lines

Dusha, Iosha’s dragon demon, jumps at Josh and throws him off of Iosha. “You snitch,” Iosha hisses, watching as her demon pins the boy, snarling in his face. “I did nothing to you, you little fuck,” she snarls, rubbing her shoulder. “I fucking said no one can afford to get hurt, and look what you did. Dusha is going to rip your head off now,” she growls.

“Du javel,” Dusha snarls in Swedish, calling Josh a bastard.

“Get off him, dragon,” Morgan growls.

“Gor mig,” he hisses, telling Morgan to make him.

 Sam barks at Dusha, not attacking without Josh’s command. Josh slips out from under Dusha and backs away towards Morgan. Not wanting to take the fight against the massive dragon any further, yet still ready to defend himself. Dusha turns and snarls at the mud covered boy beside Morgan.

“Vad tänkte du?” Dusha asks, glancing at Iosha to translate.

“He asks what you were thinking,” she grumbles.

“Du är så dum,” Dusha sighs, glaring at Josh with his bright orange eyes. His large wings extend and his muscle tenses. “Inte bråka med mig.”

“He called you stupid and said to not mess with him, or me,” Iosha grumbles, sitting on the ground and rubbing her shoulder.

“I’m not one to be fucked with either,” Josh grumbles with his jaw clenched. “Now fly away, little bird,” he taunts, not breaking eye contact.

Dusha jumps at Josh, not touching him, but screeching in his face. “Kulla ding, du svag smyga,” Dusha hisses. Josh glances at Iosha, wondering what the dragon had said.

“You don’t wanna know what he said,” Rose chuckles, “Come on, douche bag, before you get any madder.” Dusha hisses at Josh as he lets Rose push him away. Rose gives Josh the ‘you owe me one’ glance as she pushes the white dragon away, beginning to yell at Dusha in some language. 

Josh glares at Rose and smirks at Dusha, “I can tell this is going to be fun already,” he says with his signature half smile. 

“Boy.. You’re getting yourself into some deep shit with that girl, let alone the dragon,” Dixie, Morgan’s demon, grumbles.

“I’ll me fine, Dix,” he smiles, kneeling down and kissing her snout like a boy would kiss his aunt.

“You better be careful, I saw you go into her tent last night. I can tell you like her, but she hates you. Don’t get hurt,” she grumbles, turning and licking Josh’s cheek slightly. 

“She doesn't hate me, I can tell,” he says, looking at Rose. He turns to Sam and whistles, “Come ‘ere Sammy,” he smiles, watching Sam pick up his brother’s knife and trot over. He takes the knife and closes it calmly, he pats and scratches Sam’s head and looks back over to Rose.

~*~*~

Rose stars blankly at the sparking river, reflecting the bright night stars in it’s ripples. A heavy feeling crushes in her chest, feeling as if someone’s hand was inside her chest and grabbing her heart. The rest of camp was asleep, for it was two in the morning. Rose had crossed the river by the bride and sat across the river from their camp, keeping a deep and cold wall between herself and camp. She rubs her chilly, bare arms as a brisk winter breeze kisses her exposed skin. She wore a tank top, stupid thing for winter really, and sweatpants. Her brown hair was tied back in a pony tail, though some pieces still fell in her face. Her body felt numb, although she was warm. Being reunited with Josh was one of the best things to happen to her in the past two years, although it was also the worst. She was reminded of her pain, loss, and loneliness.