22 Family

3rd person

ONE YEAR OR SO LATER

The presents were positioned beneath the tree, half of the large stack was wrapped in blue while the other was wrapped in yellow. There was an equal amount marked respectively by their favorite colors.

Jillian was first to jump out of bed at the sound of a knock on the door, and she ran across the hall. Bright and early, Tyler was quick to follow. Only having had a few hours of sleep, the children jumped over the couple with excitement in their voice, "Mommy, Mommy!" Jillian exclaimed as she climbed over Eden, her little voice pulling the sleeping woman away from her dream.

"Dad, C'mon!" Tyler exclaimed as he pulled at his father's arm.

"Is it morning already?" David asked playfully, turning away from Tyler as he stood on the floor beside him.

"C'mon, dad! Wes is already here!"

With Tyler's words, Eden felt her heart drop. It was a sticky situation, but they were beginning to be comfortable, "My daddy is here!" Jillian said happily, a bright smile on her lips as she climbed out of bed and ran out of the room.

Eden sat up, but David was quick to follow behind her, guiding Tyler with him. She pulled on a robe over her thin night clothes and moved toward the living room. There was a camera set up to catch their reaction, and it was priceless.

David opened the door as Eden tossed a shirt in his direction, and Wes flashed him a hesitant smile, "I can't wait to see when Santa brought me!" Jillian exclaimed, distracted as Wes stepped through the narrowed door. There was a look of uncertainty spread across his features as he stepped inside, keeping the door open, "Daddy!"

It was their first Christmas separated,and they could all feel the tension. Jillian jumped into his arms and wrapped her arms around him in a hug, "Alright, let's get these presents opened because daddy has more at his house for you!"

Eden felt her heart lift. He was doing everything right, but why hadn't he done that in the past. They could have been a whole family, but he took away her chance to have that with David. She couldn't look past it.

Barbies, Polly Pockets, baby dolls, dinosaurs, video games, board games, and clothes. The floor was scattered with toys as they finished unwrapping their gifts. It was chaos, but it was an amazing sight.

After opening presents, WES occupied the children while the adults got dressed. Jillian changed into an adorable red romper and her hair was pulled up into a bun, while Tyler wore a matching red shirt and a pair of black pants. Hesitantly, she leaned to kiss David as they stood outside of the doorway, "I'll meet you at the downtown picture parlor in an hour."

Joining Wes in his car, David and Tyler traveled to Brina's house for presents. The car ride was mostly silent, filled with Jillian's nonstop rambling about her presents. She was excited to know what Santa had dropped at Wes' house for her.

Pulling into the driveway, Eden noticed the unfamiliar vehicle and felt her heart grow uneasy, "There's someone I want you to meet." Wes said, his confidence faltered as he opened the door to reveal a beautiful red headed woman siting at he kitchen counter, "This is Isabelle."

"Nice to meet you." Eden said hesitantly as the woman approached her, and they shook hands.

"This is Eden," Wes said to the unfamiliar woman as Jillian clung to his leg, "She's the mother of my child, Jillian."

"It's nice to meet you, Jillian." The woman said in a gentle tone, smiling at the shy child, "Your daddy is always talking about you. I hope you like the present I got."

"Did you really think this was the best day to introduce us to your new girlfriend?" She muttered as Jillian willingly walked toward the pile of presents with the woman.

"There's no time like the present."

Wes stepped forward with a smile, taking a seat beside Jillian as the woman gave her a gift. They could both tell that Eden was hesitant to trust her, but ignored the tense air around them.

She opened the gift, finding a pack of camping dishes. She was confused, but Wes slid another present in her direction, telling her, "Open this one next."

She unwrapped the next and a bright smile illuminated her features. A camping tent fit for three.

"You've already planned a camping trip with my daughter?" Eden asked with a hint of anger and jealousy in her tone as her eyes moved to rest on the strange woman sitting beside him, "Are you sure that's the best idea?"

"Trust me, Eden, it's safe." He said with a forced grin, placing his arm around the woman's back, saying, "I trust her."

Before she could speak again, Wes forced a present in Jillian's direction. Eden distracted herself by watching her daughter open the same present, "Now, we were hoping that you, David, and Tyler would join us, but it was only a thought." He said with a hint of challenge in his glare, saying, "You don't have to come if you don't want to."

"We're going camping!" Jillian exclaimed with excitement in her movements as she threw her arms around her daddy's neck and hugged him, "I'm so excited!"

When Jillian had opened all of her gifts, Wes slid a present toward Eden and she paused her eyes on the blue wrapping paper, "For you." He said with a grin on his lips, telling her, "Open it."

She opened it to reveal a glass frame reading, "This is my family. I found it all on my own. It's little and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good." There was a picture of the three of them at the bottom and she felt her heart drop. She wanted nothing more than a simple life, but she got a complicated relationship.

They stood across the room, watching as Tyler and Jillian sat together to take individual and group pictures with Santa. There was a picture of every combination you could create, then a large, awkward group photo of everyone who was standing in the room - Including Wes' new girlfriend.

She didn't ask for the life she got, but she enjoyed the moments she had. It was complicated and difficult at times, but every moment was worth the difficulties faced.

Happy endings aren't always what is expected, but that's what make them so special.

The End.

________

PLEASE READ:
If I decide to rewrite this trilogy with better grammar, a bigger plot, and whatnot, would y'all want to read it? Along with my new Marvel story, Ive been wanting to write about Smosh again but don't feel like writing an entire new book. Any suggestions?

Please don't forget to comment what you liked or where I could improve the plot line, constructive criticism!
Thank you so much for the reads and the support!!

ALSO, it would be greatly appreciated if you click on my profile and check out my newest and first Marvel fanfic. Let me know what you think, and I'll see y'all later!

Much love.