"Kaneki?!" 

He kept screaming and trembling, until you noticed that something was getting out of his back. 

You widened your eyes, as two things started growing out of him. 

They looked almost like centipedes with thorns. This was totally different from his kagune. 

He started mumbling something. 

"The... The world runs in strength... If... If I'm not strong enough... I won't be able to protect... The people from Anteiku... Or Hide... Or (f/n)..."

You widened your eyes as he started to get up, and saw his face. You gulped. 

A... A kakuja...? 

You knew that he had cannibalised, eating Yamori, but you didn't think it was enough to become a kakuja. 

He fully got up and looked down at you, even if now his uncovered eye was totally white. You sincerely were scared of this Kaneki. 

But he took your arm and then placed an arm around your waist, pulling you with him. 

He ran towards the exit, and came back in the room where you had left Ayato, still with you in his arms. 

He finally placed you on your feet, and you looked down. You felt a weird pain in your chest, caused by what you saw.

Ayato was fighting with a ghoul investigator, but he looked weak. Probably the investigator was too strong even for him.

Ayato walked with wobbling legs towards him, and punched his armor-like quinque. But that punch didn't do anything, and the blue haired ghoul looked up.

What pained you the most were his eyes. In fact, they looked miserable and devastated.

Even if a part of you hated him, you couldn't stand to see him like that. You didn't know why, but you absolutely didn't want him to die. Seeing that look on his face had almost made you cry. 

The ghoul investigator was about to hit him with his quinque, but you jumped down and took Ayato in your arms, so the weapon hit you instead of him. 

You gritted your teeth in pain, and looked at your bleeding side. 

You and Ayato slammed into the wall. He was in a sitting position, while you were kneeling over him. 

He widened his eyes slightly at the sight of you, and, making sure the man was frozen in the spot, he took off your mask, like to make sure it was really you. 

He then put a hand on your bleeding side. 

You didn't know what had gotten into you, but you brushed a few strands of blue hair from his forehead, and then leaned down to place a soft kiss on it. 

I don't know why... But I think you're precious to me, Ayato... 

Ayato widened his eyes and clutched weakly your wound. 

You took your mask from Ayato and put it back on, then you stood up, even if your legs were trembling, turned to the ghoul investigator, and extended your arms, in a protective manner. 

The man looked shocked, but then he gripped his quinque and glared. 

It was at this moment you felt something slam against your stomach, making you fall, sitting against the wall right beside Ayato, who had passed out. 

The impact made you hit your head, and your vision became fuzzy. 

The investigator widened his eyes and started fighting with Kaneki.