"No worries man, it's last minute so I know work comes first" Jake replied.

"Yeah, speaking of, I better get going before I am late" he said as he ran to grab his gear from Brace's old room.

"Brace, you want eggs?" Jake asked.

"Yes please, I am just going to walk Lex out."

Brace followed Lex from the kitchen and into her old bedroom, closing the door behind her.

"So are we really doing this again?"

"Doing what?" he questioned not meeting her eyes.

"Damn it! Stop it! Are we going to pretend that kiss didn't happen? I am not planning to run again but do need to know what footing we are on."

"Brace, your brother is my best-friend and I shouldn't have - "

"Stop, I got it! Another girl in the long list of girls, I should have known better, for the second time."

"That's not true! Brace - "

"Just go, don't want you to be late for work" as she walked out of the bedroom.

Lex followed into the kitchen, calling out good-bye and headed out. Starting his bike with a rumble, cranking it and tearing off down the street.

"Alright lets get packed and leave within the hour, Topaz we'll swing past your house too incase you need to grab some things" Jake stated.

After stopping at Topaz's so she could leave a note for her father and grabbed some clothes they headed to the cottage. The trip was uneventful and they made great time in getting there. Leaving Topaz and Jake to unpack, bickering about where things should be put away to, Brace went out to the dock to take in all the quiet scenery.

They spent a lazy day, swimming, sun bathing and Jake did some fishing. As Brace cleaned the dishes Jake's phone rang, while she could only hear one side of the conversation the gist of it was that Lex wasn't coming up. Brace excused herself after she was done, claiming exhaustion and headed to bed.

*****

Back at home Lex's day had started shitty and stayed that way. First he was late, so got chewed out by his father, then the camshaft he had ordered for the custom bike rebuild arrived damaged. He decided that he needed a night out with the guys, minus Jake of course, taking out his phone he called Erik.

"What are you guys up to tonight?"

"Hey man! Not much, thinking we are going to hit up Sassy's tonight after work" Erik replied.

"Sounds good, will catch up with you there."

"Cool, I'll call Jake and let him know. He can tell Brace and Topaz so we have some some prettier company than just us."

"Don't bother, they went up to the cottage for the weekend to take a break from the long week at school."

"Damn that's too bad, sure would have liked to get my eyes on Brace again."

Hanging up, before Erik could say anything further Lex finished out the day at the shop. Heading home to grab a shower and a quick bite to eat before meeting up with the guys at Sassy's.

Sassy's was busy as usual with the town crowd, when Lex walked in he waved a Hi to the guys across the room, heading to bar to grab a drink.

"Hi sweetie, what can I get you tonight?" the bartender asked.

"Hi Janice, I'll take a Stella."

"Sure thing sweetie!"

He took the beer when she handed it to him over the bar and headed over to the guys. There was an intense game of pool going on and much cheering and booing from those looking on. When he joined the group the discussion was about the upcoming rally and who would be attending but as it always does it quickly turned to women, and in this instance Brace in particular.

Since Jake and Lex were best friends of course they assumed that Lex had info on Brace, so he was subjected to questions in regards to what she was studying, was she coming to the rally, and of course the one that they all wanted answered, was she available.

"If I had known she had a body like that under those clothes a couple years ago, well let just say I would have taken more time to "get to know her", Erik said with a suggestive wink.

"Have you seen the tight little numbers she has worn out lately, doesn't leave much to the imagination." Mike agreed

Lex clenched and un-clenched his jaw hearing them talk about Brace like she was just any other girl that they passed the time with. His mood quickly soured and he found he wasn't really up to hanging out tonight. He finished his beer, and said he had someplace he had to be, so headed out.

He drove around the town arguing with himself that nothing had changed, she was still innocent Brace, except those kisses, her response to him this morning said she was anything but. Irregardless of that though the other arguments were still there, she was still Jake's kid sister and he still would not risk her becoming part of his world more than she already was.

That was why at 2 am he was pulling open the window, off the porch to the room that Brace always had when staying at the cottage, climbing in and hoping that she still had the same room and was not sharing with Topaz. Because it seemed no matter how strong the argument he made he couldn't stay away from her.