Chapter 20

Rachel's POV

It's been a week since we got engaged and tonight is Bruce's charity gala for all of the orphanages in Gotham. Richard and I had spent the whole day at the manor helping out. We helped Alfred cook and set up, while trying to ignore Selina because all she wanted to talk about was the wedding.

When we finished setting up we all went our separate ways to get ourselves ready for the gala. I was trying to mentally prepare myself for all of the people who were going to be there, and that I had to talk to a vast majority of them. Not to mention, Bruce was going to announce that Richard and I were engaged and I knew that would bring all of the attention on us for a few minutes.

I was really taking my time to get dressed and Richard noticed this as well because I was purposely slowing him down. I kept asking him to grab me things that I really didn't need or to change his tie or shirt because they were too "wrinkly". Though we took longer than normal, he never said anything or tried to get me to pick up my pace.

Once I was finished I started walking towards the door. Richard was standing there waiting to open it for me. When I got close, he opens it a little expecting me to continue to walk that way, but instead I decided to stall a little more and plop down on the bed with me face towards the celling.

Richard just looked at me and sighed. He closed the door and walked to the bed, sitting next to me when he got there.

"I think now is a good time to talk about this, don't you?" I gave him my 'I don't want to go look', but he only laughed.

"It won't be that bad I promise, only some people will try to make conversation with you and I promise to not leave your side the entire time." I sighed dramatically and sat up. I was going to try to stall more, but he caught on quickly and gave me a look.

"You've stalled for three hours Rachel I'm not allowing you to do that anymore." He stood up and extended his hand out for me to take.

I grabbed his hand and stood up. He guided me to the door and opened it for me. As we walked down the hall to the ballroom, Richard was giving me advice about what not to do or say. I just looked at him because I knew I wasn't going to talk to anyone, besides him and his family.

As we got closer to the ballroom I could feel myself shaking, all I could think about was the negatives. When we reached the door, I felt like I was going to pass out. I started to have a small panic attack, so Richard stopped and made me try to breath normal while saying nice things to make me worry less.

When I calmed down, Richard didn't hesitate to drag me into the ballroom, he was lucky we were in a room filled with people. We walked down the stairs and into the crowd of people. Richard was being social and talking to everyone, while I just stood there. I was actually having fun, cause I didn't have to talk he did it for me now I knew why I was marrying him.

We had been there for a couple of hours now with some eating, dancing, talking, and fundraising. A lot of people had shown up and we were raising a decent amount of money for the short time the the party had been going on.

Bruce got up to the podium and silenced to crowd. He had a kind smile on his face and looked very proud.

"Thank you all for coming tonight I really appreciate it. I'm sure you are all ready to start the auction, but I'd like to make an announcement before we start. A lot of you know that I am a proud father, but I am very proud of my oldest son, Richard. He is standing in the back with his lovely fiancé, Rachel, on his right. I am very proud of him getting engaged and to such a wonderful girl. I can't wait for her to officially be apart of this family." Everyone started to applaud and cheer for us. I clung closer to Richard as the people who were close to us patted us on the back and congratulated us.

All of a sudden, the doors to the ballroom flew open and a group of people dressed in black holding guns came barging in. There were a few screams heard throughout the crowd as the people came rushing through.

Throughout all of the chatter you could hear one of the people dressed in black yell "Everyone get on the ground and shut up!"