Chapter 3

Now before anything happens, I thought it might help you to get to know my family and friends.

Dave Miller and Luce Miller are the cutest married couple, they got hitched last year at the age of 24 and 23, respectively. I remember them picking me up from elementary school, seven years ago, with Dave driving us and Luce buying me muffins and then they continue their date after dropping me off. They decided to get married last year because the timing felt right and their business starts to thrive. I of course got to be Luce's Maid of Honor.

Six years older than me, Luce, is my cousin from my father's side. She is the best big sister I could ever ask for. Her and Dave runs a restaurant downtown, near the Starbucks that Mike and I met. Dave is a genius when it comes to recipes, and combine with Luce's management skill and strategic thinking, they ran a successful restaurant called Redbone, specialises in red meat and wine. The beginning of Redbone was not pretty. They scrubbed the floors themselves every night and borrowed money from their parents and my dad. Usually I'll help out after school whenever I can.

Next up we have Travis Cox. Where do I start? He is Dave's best friend to cut it short. We met when Dave started working on Redbone and need all the manpower he could get. Travis is a big grumpy baby who works out all the time. He got that hawk-like eye and an intimidating posture. As my workout buddy, he is also relentless and persistent. He is an account manager at an advertising agency. I have to say that he is the attractive one in our bunch.

And then there was Jack. Jackson White. Cute and cheerful, borderline annoying, nosy and definitely thirsty, was the baby of the group. He was the only friend I had that actually went to school with me, while my other friends are either older or went to different school. Jack is my best friend. He knows just all the buttons he can push to make me explode. We've known each other since our diaper days because our dad is each others best friends so Jack is the only one who knew all my darkest days and vice versa. He got my back and I got his.

...Rox! Rox! Roxanne Lily Stark!" Jack yelled in my year, pulling me back to reality.

"What, Jack? Do you really have to yell in my ear?!"

"Well you've been zoning out for a good five minutes and I need to know are you gonna finished your cake or not?" I rolled my eyes, feeling very familiar with his behaviour and hand him my cake. He giddily took it and shoves it down in record speed. After Aaron dropped me off, we came inside and ate some cake leftovers from the restaurant while Broad City is playing on the television.

"So...how's the gig tonight? Sorry we couldn't make it." Dave said, coming out of the kitchen with a tray full of some cocktail concoction he just created. Dave and Luce got some fancy guests booking their restaurant earlier, so they have to be on site to make sure everything is running well and couldn't make it to my gig. Jack got a date and Travis won't come alone because he and Nick do not get along.

"It was good. We play 'Roulette', I know it was your favourite." Dave nods as a sign of approval as I took one of the old-fashioned glass and turn to Jack, "But enough about me, how was your date, Jack? Tell me everything." Jack rolled his eyes and slumped himself back to the couch.

"It was not a good date." Travis chuckled, answering for Jack. "His date is basically a sales agent trying to get him to join his multi-level marketing program. So he texted me to come and get him."

Jack covers his face in embarrassment. "He was so cute! And we hit it off in text. But turns out he just wants to sell me this hair growth serum. Do I look like I need one?! My hair is still fresh and luscious! Asshole." Turns out Jack didn't even finished his food and excuse himself to the bathroom when in reality he ran outside to Travis' car.