Chapter 1

Katniss P.O.V.

I sigh and turn over onto my left side. I've gotten so used to having Peeta's arms around me while we sleep, that I now can't go to sleep without him. Not to mention the fact that the baby won't stop kicking.

I feel like I'm alone, but I refused to stay with Mom and Prim tonight. I needed to be alone when the tears finally came. Hopefully, this lonely feeling won't last long.

Well find Peeta and get him back safely. Then our little family will be whole again.

I also don't like the idea of being underground here in 13. It hasn't been a full day yet, and I already feel deprived of fresh air. But it's not safe to go aboveground yet.

I can't comprehend everything. District 12 is gone. Peeta is more then likely captured by Snow. All the information that I've learned today blurs together. None of it makes sense, but I really don't care right now.

All I want is for Peeta to be okay and safe.

I'm finally about to drift off when something Peeta said on the train the other night flashes through my mind.

"I need you to promise me, that no matter what happens, you'll always be here. I need you to promise that you'll wait for me."

It makes me wonder if Peeta knew all along that something like this would happen. Did Peeta know that he would be taken from me?

I finally can't take it anymore. I have to do something, so I get up and pace the small area. But it's not enough. I go out into the hallway and walk around for a while. I instantly regret that decision.

"Katniss?"

I tense up and slowly turn around. "Gale," I say as I take a step back.

"I heard about Peeta," he says. "I'm sorry."

I shrug my shoulders. "I wish everbody would stop saying thay they're sorry. It's nobody's fault but Snow's."

"Are you okay?"

"Not really," I say as I look down at the floor. It's quiet for a while before Gale speaks up.

"I'd better go." He starts walking off, but I remember something I wanted to tell him.

"Gale, wait," I say. He turns to face me, and I take a deep breath. "How did you get everybody out in time? How did you know that was going to happen?"

"They warned us," Gale says. "The first bomb was dropped in the woods about fifteen minutes before District 12 was blown up." He shakes his head. "I guess Snow wanted us to have a fair fight."

"I don't see anything fair about it," I say. I take a deep breath. "Thank you for saving my mom and Prim."

Gale nods his head. "I'm sorry I couldn't get Peeta's family to come with me." My heart drops. "I'll see you later, Katniss." Gale walks off, but I just stand here.

What kind of wife am I? I never once thought to ask about Peeta's family. Even though he's not too close to them anymore, I know he'll be devestated. They were still his family.

I decide to go back to bed, but I still can't sleep. Peeta doesn't deserve this. He's lost everything expect for me and the baby. He probably doesn't even know.

Peeta might not even be alive. If he is alive, Snow might not even have him. Where is Peeta? What is happening to him?

I start crying again, but I quickly stop. I'm tired of crying.

"Listen to me," I say as I lay a hand on my stomach. "I am going to make sure that Daddy comes home safely. You are not going to grow up without your father."

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. I'm not going to break this promise. I will make it happen. 

For Peeta. For me. For our baby.