Chapter 10

"Don't make me sad; don't make me cry."

~ Lana Del Ray.

* * *

Bianca and I walked together to school, which - may I add - happens once in a blue moon.

She seemed very hyper today, contrary to the morose state I was in. She wouldn't stop asking about my best friend, and what he had to say for himself the previous night.

"He apologised," I said, staring absently at the road ahead.

"And?" she probed, sensing that there was more to this than I was letting on.

"It's very complicated, Bianca," I replied sombrely.

"Well then, un-complicate it," she said, grinning widely.

I knew what she was thinking: I'm a friggin' genius, baby!

"He, uhm . . .said something," I started pathetically.

Bianca raised her eyebrows inquisitively, beckoning me to go on.

"He said that he likes me," I finished, mentally slapping myself for telling her.

She might be my sister, but she had a mouth as big as the atlantic ocean. The whole school would probably know about this at the end of today.

"I knew it!" she exclaimed, doing this funny had gesture.

"You did?" I asked, utterly dumbfounded.

"Of course, darling," she replied, tossing her hair like a super-model. "Bianca AKA Love Doctor. Remember?"

"Oh, please," I scoffed. "How did you know?"

"Duh, it's totally obvious, Bridgette. I've always wondered why you wear glasses. They aren't doing you much justice, you know."

I simply shook my head and scoffed at her.

"Oh, don't give me that look," she said. "Haven't you seen the way he looks at you? It's like he could just rip your clo -"

"Whoa, hold your horses!" I told her. "Your expertise won't be needed any further, Love Doctor. Thank you very much."

"The pleasure's all mine, Miss Wanderlust. I take it you don't feel the same way about him?" She asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"What makes you think that?" I asked, my gaze dropping to the floor.

"You're running away from him, aren't you? That's why you're going to granny's."

"You're delusional," I replied, dreading the question.

"And you, dear sister, are quite something!" she chirped, breaking into fits of laughter. "Wait till your buddy hears about this."

* * *

"Order, please!" Mr Crompton, the principal, spoke into the microphone.

The school assembly was crowded with Grade 10 learners, pushing and shoving into empty chairs in the hall.

Usually, I'd sit next to Lelo, but by the looks of it, today was an exception.

He was nowhere to be found.

I strolled to the front row, and took a seat on one of the empty chairs.

Bianca was sitting there with her 'popular' friends. She waved at me when she saw me, and invited me to join them, but I shook my head politely and mouthed a quiet, "No, thanks."