Chapter 6

The moment I stirred, I winced in pain as a twinge of pain shot through my throbbing head.

I tried opening my eyes, but the more I tried, the more I felt as though someone was drilling screwdrivers inside my eyes.

"Ow!" I cried, clutching my head to alleviate the excrutiating migraine I was experiencing.

"Shh, don't move," a soothing female voice said.

"Doctor, she's awake! My baby girl is awake!"

I willed myself to open my eyes, only to meet a pair of worried ones. My mom's eyes.

"Where am I?" I asked, my eyes darting from one corner of the room to the next.

The walls were cream and there was one tiny window on my right, with a pale green curtain and next to my bed, there was a tiny stand. On top of it was a vase, filled with an assortment of flowers and cards from well-wishers.

"Take it easy, ma'am. You're in hospital," the doctor announced as he checked my blood pressure.

"How is she, doc?" My mom asked gingerly.

"She's stable. But we might need to keep her overnight, just incase she has a relapse of some sort."

My mom just nodded, smiling weakly at the doctor.

"How long have I been here?" I asked, panic-stricken.

"What am I doing here? What happened?"

"You were hit by a car," my mom said, squeezing my hand gently.

"What?" I croaked.

"You were very fortunate to have been rushed to hospital just in time. You lost a considerable amount of blood," the doctor announced, his eyes fixed on me.

"You've been in a coma for two weeks straight."

"Coma?" I blurted incredulously.

It was almost hard to grasp the reality of being unconscious for an entire fortnight.

"Do you remember what happened prior to the accident?" The doctor inquired.

"No," I answered absently.

"What do you remember?" He pressed.

"Anything in particular?"

"I was at school," I told him. "I must have been hanging out with my friends -"

I paused to catch my breath. My whole body felt feeble, and I wasn't sure of anything.

"Do I have any friends?" I asked uncertainly.

My mom shot me a bewildered look before turning to the doctor with concerned eyes.

"The young gentleman who brought you here, do you know him?" He asked.

I silently shook my head.

"Mvuselelo Mthembu?" He added, hoping that I'd recognise the name but it didn't ring a bell.

"Who is that, and what is he to me?" I asked.

"He's your best friend, sweetheart," my mom told me matter-of-factly.

"I have a best friend?"

My mom and the doctor exchanged meaningful glances before shaking their heads grievously.

Was I missing something?

"Err, I'm afraid we'll have to perform more tests. It seems more serious than we initially thought."