Chapter 1

Scott's POV

I have secret. It's probably pretty pointless to hide it, seeing as people are going to find out sooner or later, but how am I supposed to tell others the secret I've been keeping for the past eighteen years? It would change everything. How others see me, how my parents act towards me, my position could be at stake. It's better to keep it quiet, so everything stays the same.

I know that's pretty stupid to think. Everything can't stay the same. Sometimes, even destiny can change.

"Silas! Quit moping around and get to work!"

I placed a hand on my hip, scolding the childish Alpha. He growled, turning his angry eyes to me. "Shut up!" He snapped.

I sighed. "Silas-"

"Don't call me that!"

I flinched at his harsh tone. After being rejected by Lewis, he did nothing but mope around. I had basically taken over as Alpha, taking over his duties while he drank away his problems. It annoyed me, truthfully. He had sentenced himself to this, and now he's paying the price. Yet here he was, acting like the victim.

"Alpha... You have to work. The pack is depending on you to-"

"I SAID SHUT UP!!"

The half empty beer can splashed against my chest, causing me to stumble back and fall against the counter. "Ouch!" I winced, the pain in my back throbbing. I sighed, knowing a bruise was already starting to form. I looked down, sighing again at my wet, beer covered clothes.

Silas seemed to snap out of his daze when he saw me cry out in pain. He launched to his feet rushing to my side. "Are you okay?!"

He held out a hand that I pushed away. "I'm fine." I snapped.

Silas flinched, looking guilty. I hadn't meant for it to sound so mean, but being the Alpha despite my position is a lot to handle. I wasn't born to be the Alpha. I wasn't even born to be the Beta. I sighed again. "I'm sorry, Silas. I just-"

"No, I get it." Silas looked away.

He's probably replaying the rejection. The apologetic look on Lewis's face, the pain he felt. Everything that happens seems to remind him of that night. "Silas," I said forcefully. "I'm not angry. I'm just tired. It'd be a lot easier if you stopped moping and got to work."

He nodded, giving me his sly smile. I smiled back. This is the Silas I knew. Confident, slick, sarcastic. It had been a while since he'd been himself. I could only hope he'd get better soon, but what could I do? I didn't know what he was going through.

I haven't even met my mate. But I know I have one. Otherwise, I wouldn't be stuck with this problem. Still, I knew it hurt. A lot more than you'd think. Even so, he accepted it, and now he needs to move on. He's the Alpha, a lot of people rely on him.

---

When I finished changing and bandaging my back, I peeked into Silas's office. He looked terrible, but still continued to work. I smiled, walking away quietly. I knew he wasn't one to slack off or hurt others. He just... Had a very bad view of what's wrong and right. Slowly but surely, he's learning. Of course, it doesn't solve his problem.

I went to the kitchen, pulling out several dozen cans of beer, scrunching my nose at the burning cold on my arms as I carried them to the trash. Silas must have heard me, because in the next second, he was on top of me, pinning me down and yanking the cans away. "What are you doing?!"

"Ow! Silas! Let go!"

He growled slightly, pulling the cans out of my grip. "These are mine!"

I got up, rubbing my wrists. "Yeah, and they're causing a lot of problems."

Silas glared, looking down at me with a strange expression. Finally, he pulled away, opening a can and chugging it's contents. I looked down, wincing at the bruises already starting to form on my wrists. Honestly, if he doesn't stop these angry outbursts, someone's going to get hurt. And it's probably going to be me.