Chapter 1

Julian Gabriel above, generously playing Jonah Forrester

**Are you ready for this?**

My heart pounds quickly inside my chest as the rain pelts down on top of me. My paws claw at the muddy forest floor, each running step splashing mud onto my fur. The mud doesn't bother me though, it more excites me and makes me push my legs harder. It is fun running through the mud, making it splash up in dirty puddles.

Lightning flashes across the sky and I count the seconds until the thunder cracks. One. Two. Three. Four.

Boom!

Four seconds.

More lightning flashes and the loud booms follow closely behind. The thunder and lightning doesn't bother me, it excites me just like the mud. It makes me push my legs harder as if I am running with the lightning bolts that flash across the sky.

The lightning lights up the semi dark forest, it is dusk and the sun is almost completely set by now. The booming thunder seems to shake the smaller plants as I run past them, or perhaps I just have awesome speed like Flash. Yeah, I like that, I am as fast as Flash and am causing the plants to shudder.

Lightning cracks across the sky, the thunder right with it this time. Then, something hits me in the back. I shake my head and slow down to try and find whatever hit me. Something falls onto my head, then it sounds like beads scattering across a tiled flooring. I look up at the sky and then the ground to find marble sized ice chunks falling from the sky and beating down on the poor defenseless plant life. Great, it's hailing.

More chunks of ice hit me in the head, it is actually painful. I shake my head and then sprint away, running hard and fast to make it back home before I get stuck out here in the darkening forest.

By the time I see the Pack House approaching, the sky is completely black and covered with storm clouds. No one is outside, which doesn't surprise me at all, it's just weird not seeing at least one person out.

I tromp through the squishy grass and up the soaked wooden porch steps and then shift. I stand up on two feet and stretch out my muscles before opening the back door. I left a pair of shorts in the closet next to the door because I knew it was going to rain sometime tonight. See, I can think ahead sometimes.

Lucky me there is no one in the short hallway so I am able to shut the back door and pull out my shorts from the closet without having to make small talk. I have been avoiding everyone at all costs for a while now. It's not like I don't like them, because I love my pack. It's just that I still haven't found my mate yet. I'm twenty-six years old and still mateless. I'm starting to believe my mate is not out there.

Sometimes I think I should have chosen a mate five years ago when the Elders visited our pack with candidates for me and my Alpha, Abram. I didn't like any of the candidates though, maybe Winter Huxley, but she was barely fifteen and already found her mate. Besides, if my mate ever does show up I would hate to have to kick out my current 'mate', and I would especially hate my mate thinking I couldn't wait for them.

Why do I keep saying 'them'? Well, simple. My Alpha was mated to a male, which makes my Luna a male. I know another Alpha by the name of James Fletcher who is mated to a male, and his Beta, Ridge Shielding, has a male mate as well. So, it could happen to me too, which is why I am keeping an open mind about it.

I don't prefer either gender for a mate. As long as my mate shows up I will be happy. Now if only they did show up. I would spoil my mate, no doubt about that. I would cherish them, spoil them, love them with my whole heart, and make sure they were always happy. I have been waiting for sixteen years for my mate to show up, so you bet I would give them the world.