Chapter 20

"Where the fuck did she go," Effy shrieked. I stood frozen, unable to move at the doorway. I couldn't speak or even breathe. Effy was searching everywhere in the room until she got to the open window. She took out her flashlight and shone it at the ground outside.

"Theres footsteps out here! Do you think she left herself? Harry?" I looked up from the ground and realized she was standing in front of me.

"Are you okay?"

I shook my head and pushed her out of the way so i could sit on my bed. I put my head in my hands and began to breathe heavily. Terror began to fill me. What if he came back to get her or what if she heard me and Effys conversation, or worse... what if she went back to him.

"Im gonna get you so water," she said as she left the room. Good. I needed to be alone to think.

*flashback*

"Why do you call me your best friend?" I asked her as we walked down a stranded street. She smiled and looked up at the moon. It shone light back at her making her face light up and her eyes sparkle. God she was beautiful.

"Why not?" she giggled. I nudged her with my shoulder and she rolled her eyes.

"Because you're one of the most, no, probably the only genuine nice guy who cares more about other people then himself. You make me laugh, smile, cry, and want to punch you, but over all you are such an amazing guy." My whole heart did a flip. If she wasn't here I probably would have screamed and danced. I grinned at her and she copied the action.

"Your turn," she said as we crossed the road.

"Huh?"

"Why am I your best friend?"

I stopped walking and looked at her. There were so many reasons why, but I didn't have the time to list them. She cocked her head waiting for my answer.

"Because you're... you" i said and continued walking.

"Woah what? I'm me? What the hell does that mean?" she pushed. She was walking behind me trying to catch up, but my long legs were no match for hers.

"It means a lot of things," i said as i slowed down to wait for her.

"Like?" she asked.

"Have you ever seen the notebook?" i asked ignoring her question.

"Um yeah, but what is that have to do with our friendship?"

"A lot. Now come on," i laughed as i grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the street. I let go and laid down on the road right in front of the lights that direct traffic.

"What are you doing?" she asked from above.

"Well, if you ever seen the notebook, Ali and Noah did this on their first date," i stated.

"This isn't a date," she said and my heart dropped at her words.

"I know, but they still had fun. Lie down with me," I exclaimed. I closed my eyes and waited. I could hear the shuffling of feet and then a sigh and then a familiar body laid down beside me. I smiled and looked at her grinning face beside me.

"Happy now," she said sarcastically, but with a hint of amusement. I looked up at the street lights and sighed.

"Very." After a few minutes of silence, the burning question that I've had at the back of my mind began to sneak its way forward.

"Cas?"

"Mhm?"

"We're going to be friends forever right? No matter what happens?"

"No matter what happens," she whispered as she grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

As i thought back to that moment i realized that if she did hear Effy and I's conversation, or if anyone ever tells her what happened, i will use that night and many others against her to keep our friendship in place...