Chapter 1 - 10:47

Chapter One - 10:47

I looked up at the clock. 10:47pm. Only another thirteen minutes to go and my shift at this damn gas station would be over and I would be free for the weekend.

I sighed as I looked out of the window with still no sign of anyone. I wasn't expecting any customers to turn up anyway, I was just waiting for Tom to turn up, he was the guy that ran the night shift there at the gas station. Through out the whole 8 hours I had been there that day, only around 10 customers had come in total, but what else can you expect for such a small town? I guess...scratch that, I knew that job was pretty boring to say the least but hey, the pay wasn't all that bad for an 18 year old girl who didn't really have much of a social life or much to do in her spare time anyway I suppose.

I sat down and glanced down at my phone to check for any messages and surprise surprise, there were none. Same as usual. It wasn't like I had many friends to bother with me anyway. If anything I'd usually just get the odd text from my mother during the day asking what I fancied for dinner.

I looked up from my phone a couple of minutes later when I noticed a car pulling up outside to get some gas out of the corner of my eye. I rolled my eyes a bit, it was typical - I'd been here literally all day and this idiot decides to turn up just as my shift is finishing.

I decided to just carry on with looking down at my phone, although this wasn't the usual smartphone that the majority of the worlds population used these days, instead it was a simple flip phone, only good for texting calling and taking pictures. I looked up again as I heard the little ring of the bell situated above the door signalling someone had come in.

A young guy walked in, he looked around 6ft or so. He was dressed in a pair of black tight skinny jeans which seemed to make his legs look even thinner and longer. He also wore an open brown coat, accompanied by a thin white t-shirt beneath it. I looked down his legs looking at the dark brown leather boots, similar to a Chelsea boot on his quite large feet. The boots were pointed at the toe and had a small heel with a buckle on the side. They looked quite expensive.

I watched as he looked around the small store taking a look at the alcohol that was for sale. Why we even sold alcohol was bizarre to me, it was a gas station surely we shouldn't be tempting people into drunk driving..

His eyes scanned the large refrigerator which contained the cans and bottles before I saw him smile to himself when his eyes came into contact with what must have been one of his favourite types of beer. I hadn't noticed that I had been staring at him, pretty creepily the entire time until just then. I quickly looked away after that and carried on looking at my phone sadly pretending to send someone a text, hoping he wouldn't take too long since I just wanted to get home.

After a few minutes, there was a sudden loud bang on the counter in front of me. It startled me and I jumped slightly before looking up again raising an eyebrow at the young man before me who had slammed a six pack can of beers down onto the counter along with a chocolate bar and a large bag of tortilla chips.

"Can I help you?" I asked him since he just looked at me smiling slightly and staying quiet which was a little strange.
"Yeah, just the gas and these. Thanks." He said taking out his wallet to pay. As soon as I heard his accent I realised he wasn't from around here. He looked way to young to be drinking, maybe he didn't understand the US law.

"Can I see your I.D?" I asked him and he furrowed his eyebrows, his slightly creepy smile fading when he heard that.
"My I.D?" He asked. "I'm over 18." He assured me and I rolled my eyes slightly.
"Yeah sorry buddy, the rules around here are a lot stricter than good old England or wherever you're from." I said making sure to add in a posh British accent at the good old England part before pointing to a poster pinned to the wall behind me which read '21?'