It took me about 6 more minutes, but I managed to tell her the whole story. I told her how I found her number, and how Ashton's grandmother had left it there after planning to throw it away. I told her how I was aware of her check-ups on Ashton for a while, and I told her how much he misses her. I told her that if it's one thing Ashton could want, it would be to just talk to her.

"She still had that little piece of paper?" Anne asked me.

"Yes," I answered. "She told me if never seemed to work when she called you, though."

Anne was silent for a couple seconds, and I guessed my words made her think of something. Maybe I was right with what I had told Irene earlier today. Maybe Anne is ashamed...or was, and that's why so much hope was lost. I don't think she'll tell me that right now, but I was making a lot of guesses as to why she went quiet so suddenly. But, after a couple moments, she spoke up.

"I want to see him." she said.

"See him?" I asked, my eyes widening at her subtly harsh words.

"Yes," she replied. "I want to see him. As soon as possible. I want...I need to see him. Please."

"I understand Mrs. Irwin," I nodded. "But no one knows I'm calling you right now...and I kind of stole this number from your mother and well..yeah."

"But I...no," she said sternly. "Don't worry about that. I don't care, I'm coming to see him."

"Believe me," I smiled. I don't think I've felt this much relief and tranquility in a while. "I want you to. I just don't know how anyone would react to be honest-"

"I don't care..I...I have to." Anne said sternly yet softly.

"Of course," I said nicely. "And I think you should, honestly."

"How much is a plane ticket to America?" she asked quickly. I hear more rustling in the background and her huffing quietly.

"I-I don't know," I said awkwardly. A knot began to form in my stomach, and I wasn't sure why. "Maybe check? Or I can-"

"No I got it right here," she said hastily. "Fuck- Oh god, excuse me."

"It's alright," I couldn't help but laugh. "Is there a problem?"

"Uh..." her voice trailed off, and I could hear that sense of worry in her voice. Ashton has the same thing. "...No. Not at all, it's not that expensive." She let out a light laugh...before I heard her sniffle a few times.

"I'll be there on Sunday."

"Wait what?" my eyes widened again. Sunday...that's literally in 3 days. I've been on the phone with her for maybe 20 minutes, and now she is telling me she's going to fly here in a matter of 3 days. That knot in my stomach got bigger, and I was confused as to why I suddenly felt nervous.

Well...I guess it's kind of obvious, right? Like..what would it even be like; for me, and especially for Ashton. Would he be happy to see her? I would think so, but as I sit here and listen to Anne ramble on about how much she needs to see her son, the more I began to feel bad. I literally stole from his grandmother, and called Anne out of nowhere. No one said that I could, no one told me it would even be this easy, and I could see if doing this behind both Ashton and Irene's backs could get me in a little trouble. As I think about it, Ashton's grandmother seemed pretty set on just throwing it away, as she said she was ashamed too. Ashton's ashamed, Anne's ashamed, everyone's ashamed. Would her coming back solve it all? Personally, I think it would, but I have absolutely no idea how Ashton would react.

"Sunday?" I squeaked.

"This is a little crazy, isn't it?" she laughed.

"A little," I laughed too. I managed to push that knot away for a little, and focus on what was important. "But if I think about it I feel like this should happen."

Shattered (Continuation of: The Chase) ▹ Ashton Irwinजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें