Facing The First Day Of School

Right foot. Left foot. Right foot. Left foot.

I counted all my steps after I exited my car. A small tingle of anxiousness made me doubt myself momentarily.I marched onward to Liberty High School, feeling that is moment I would remember for the rest of my life. It was the first day of my senior year. I survived Junior year unscathed and slightly bored , but  I could feel that this year would be different.

My parents were excited that I even made it to my senior year let alone that I may have the chance to graduate. They took pictures of me leaving like I was going to prom, but I humored them and posed just as. I know you're thinking 'They're totally over doing it' and I totally agree. Let's just say that my family is very eccentric.

" Hey,Quinn." I waved at the girl, who's name I had forgotten. "Quinn!" A guy smiled at me from his locker and I said hey back. I wasn't popular at all. I was just a kid everyone knew about ,but never really knew. Even though most of the people at school see me as that kid who seemed to be the unluckiest teenager ever.

"Quinn, You're back?!" It had sounded more like a question than a statement. I wanted to feel offended by it , but I knew that person meant no harm by it. He was a jock anyway and they weren't exactly known for being brainiacs.

"Yup. I'm back and healthy." I chirped, trying to sound as happy as could be. The jock just nodded and kept on doing with whatever it was he was doing before. I continued to forge ahead towards my locker.

Reese, my ever-present best friend, was leaning on our lockers which were next to each other. He was fingering his Iphone ,probably playing that damn Flappy Bird game. After he finally looked up , a grin spread across his face . Reese was named after the delicious chocolate by his hippie parents, but he didn't act as sweet. We've known each other since elementary school and I know for a fact that he is the most mischievous person ever. He was the master of all pranks and of practical jokes. Luckily I have only ever been an assistant to the pranks, never a victim.

"Don't give me that look." I pushed him softly away from my locker. By the grin he was wearing, I could tell he was already devising another one. The flicker of evil in his green eyes had me sorry for his next sitting duck.

"What look?" I gave him a 'you know what look' stare that made him chuckle. " And good morning to you too, sunshine." I smiled at him and pulled him into a tight hug. Reese started rummaging through his own locker after I pulled back.

"So what happened this summer?" It had been the first summer we were apart and it had been gruesome on my part. I was stuck with my siblings and my parents. My family tiptoed around me the whole break when I had gotten sick again. Even my older brother and sister, Daniel and Rachael, visited from college and got into the usual cautious behavior.

"Nothing much. Spent time with the grandparents. Went to the beach. Hung out with Sydney and the others.Shopped at -" 

"Wait, you what. Repeat that last one." I cut him off, stuck in disbelief.

"Hung out with Sydney and the others." He said it very slowly and frowned at how I was making it into a big deal. He didn't understand how big of a deal it was.

Sydney was like the Prince of our town. He was the Mayor's son and therefore crowned popular by the kids at our school. He ignored all of the attention and stayed in his small group of friends. I was curious about him. He wasn't normal in the least. You could imagine how a politician's kid should act ,but Sydney was the opposite. I never seen him in a button up ,or even a tie for that matter. He rode a motorcycle for Christ sake. Sydney may as well been the unattainable hot guy that girls and some boys swoon over. So hearing that my best friend may have gotten into one of the most exclusive groups was a surprise.

"We just hung out a few times since my grandparents live next to one of his family members. Just casual, ya know." He shrugged it off. I wasn't a fan girl or anything. I had bigger things to worry about besides gawking over a guy who would probably never share the same feelings in a billion years. It's just normal to be happy when my Reese-y poo was jumping the social ranks of high school. 

Where that would leave me was unknown.

"Mmhmm." We began to walk to our separate homerooms.

"What about you? Is your V-card lost yet? And if so you didn't tell muah!" He threw me a playful glare and placed a hand over his heart in mock hurt. Reese was a proud member of the 'Quinn needs to loose her virginity' squad. 

"Nope. I got sick again ,so there was no boy scoping included on my schedule." He sighed ,knowing what would be next.

"No more remission?" The evil glint in his eyes was gone and replaced by a very sad look. His fingers combed through his dark hair as he sighed again before linking his arms in mine. My Junior year was a good one ,considering I had most of it in remission and I could finally act like a normal angst-filled teenager.

"No more." I confirmed. Reese glanced over at me, silently asking if I was okay with it. I nodded and gave his reassuring smile. The short walk was full of pitiful looks from other students. Through it all I kept my head high and exchanged pleasantries with the people I knew. We stopped at my class door.

"I'll see you after lunch, Q." He said pecking my cheek and grinning to my delight.

"Yes,dear." I pecked his cheek and smiled back. He chuckled back at my response and then began moving to his own class.

********************************************************************************************

A/N: How did you guys like it? Comment first opinion please

Thanks a million.

KioPio

K.L.C.