Chocolate

Annie and Bricks considered each other best friends since they were in high school. And now that they were already going to college, they had to part ways and go through a new journey on their own. Nevertheless, the two best friends still spend time chatting online or texting each other simple nothings that make Annie’s day complete.

It was a lazy evening and though Annie had a lot of paper due tomorrow, she could not help but check her Facebook page every other minute just to see if Bricks had left her a message.  As Annie minimized the window of her FB page to get back to working on her term paper, she heard the familiar chime that instantly lightened her mood. She clicked on the window and saw the tiny chat box with a message from her beloved “best friend”.

Annie was shocked to read those three words she never expected Bricks would finally say to her. But no matter how her head denied, her heart knew she had been waiting for this moment. Her heart leapt uncontrollably and faster by the second as she tried to make sense of those three words on her screen right in front of her.

“I LOVE YOU…”

Annie read on as Bricks poured out his feelings.

“We have known each other for quite some time now and I know for sure that I don’t want to lose you. No matter the distance nor the universities we go to, I won’t let that stop me from telling you these three words. I have had these crazy feelings for you. And though you might end up rejecting me, I still gathered all my courage to say them to you. Just so you know that I LOVE YOU.”

 She was still in awe trying to fathom what was happening. Everything seemed to be in slow motion for her but a lot was happening that she could not make sense if she was in a dream. The possibility of her best friend actually confessing to her could only happen in her head where she had daydreamed of a million times over and over again during her Algebra class where her mind was most active with daydreaming.

 Everything came to Annie as a daze. She never noticed that her best friend had the same feelings for her as she did for him. Finally, she was thrilled to be on the same page and have mutual feelings for each other.  Not in a million years did she see Bricks falling for her like in John Lloyd’s movie with Bea Alonzo Close to You.

It was startling yet intriguing all at the same time for Annie. Her heart was still pounding like a jackhammer to the paved streets as her fingers went cold as she typed her reply back to Bricks.

“Oi, dude pare tsong! Ano tong sinend mo na msg? Nagdrugs kb? @_@”

She tried to respond nonchalantly and waited patiently for Bricks’ response. It took him eight and a half minutes to reply, which Annie counted because she could not do anything else but stare at her laptop screen eager to see his response.

“Dude, bakit? Pangit b? Pra kay Collette yun… Balak ko isend kaso sabi ko sa sarili ko ikonsulta ko muna sayo…”

Bricks’ reply made her heart sink like the Titanic ship hitting a huge iceberg.

Of course, Annie was very disappointed. She was kind of expecting this to happen but not like this.

She took a deep breath and typed.

 “Dude pare tsong! Bakit hindi mo naman sinabi o binanggit na para kay Collette un?!?!?! =)”

 It was as if nothing happened but tears began to flood the rims of her eyes.

“Bakit?!? Akala mo para sayo yun?!?! Wahehehe… =)”

 A tear rolled down her cheek and her vision blurred. Annie knew her best friend did not mean any harm so she tried to hide the pain and decided to reply with something so that Bricks would not suspect anything.