Nightmare

"Steph?"

"Stephanie?"

"Steph?"

Matthew Patrick walked through his house, calling out his wife's name. Where was she?

It was then that he remembered.

"Matthew, I don't want to hurt you, but I will. Move."

"No way in hell." Matthew said defiantly, blocking the man's path.

"Matthew, please."

"Do you really expect me to just hand over my wife to you? What the hell is your problem?"

"She has to die, Matthew."

"Oh, why? Because she married me? Because she's human?"

"Because I want her to, and I get what I want."

Enraged, Matthew threw a punch at the man, only to be grabbed and slammed into the coffee table in front of him.

"Jason! Help!"

A few seconds later, Jason appeared in the doorway of the dining room, skidding slightly on the linoleum floor, just like how Skip does when he runs across a wet floor.

Jason entered the dining room at a run. The man pulled out a small .32 caliber handgun, but his arm was grabbed by Jason before he could fire it. As they wrestled for the gun, Chris appeared in the doorway.

BANG

That was the last Matthew could remember.  As he remembered this scene, his fear for his wife's safety increased every second.

"Steph?!"

Still no answer. Matthew saw the bathroom door was open, so he walked up and peered inside, his soul feeling darker every second.

"Oh god, please no."

"STEPH!"

"Matthew? Matthew, wake up!"

Matt woke with a start, sitting straight up in bed.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's just me."

Matt looked to his left to see his beautiful wife looking concerned.

"You were jerking around and yelling in your sleep." Stephanie informed him, her face wrinkling in concern for her beloved husband.

"What was I yelling?"

"Just my name, over and over."

Matt's cheeks turned red. He was embarrassed that he had been yelling in the real world.

"Steph, you know I love you, right?" Matthew said hastily.

"You know I'd never let anything happen to you."

"Of course, Matthew, are you okay? Did you have a nightmare?"

Matthew thought for a moment. He decided it would be best to come clean.

He told Stephanie all about the nightmare, the fight, the man, the gunshot, and finding her on the bathroom floor.

"I-" Matthew's voice had broken by the end of his story.

"I can't lose you."

"And you won't," Stephanie reassured him, pulling him into a hug.

"I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, Matt. I love you, and I will make sure we never get separated by any means."

Matthew smiled; Steph always knew how to calm him down.

"Thanks, Steph."

"Anytime, Matt."

They pressed their lips together tightly for a brief moment, then pulled away.

"Goodnight, Steph."

"Goodnight, Matthew. I love you."

"I love you too."

And with that, Matt settled back down in bed. Although his wife had managed to comfort him, Matthew couldn't shake the feeling in the pit of his stomach when he had seen Stephanie lying on the floor in his dream.

He didn't know if he'd ever be prepared to live without her.

Thankful that Stephanie was safe and sound next to him in bed, Matthew slowly drifted off to sleep.

Hey guys, Scottsc20 here. This is a new idea I'm trying out, so let me know if you like it so far. Please vote and comment if you enjoyed, and I'll see you in the next chapter.