Aggravation

*A few days later*
I walk into the office and smile at Ms. Ruthie.
She grins and says, "Starlee, it's good to see you. I wasn't expecting you anytime soon since Jemmer was here a couple weeks ago."
I tell her, "I needed a place to run and hide at. You know I'm not like Jem I only come when I need to come around or when I need to go into hiding. Is there anything I need to check out or look over while I'm here? I'll be here for the next couple days so if there is just send it back my way."
She nods and says, "Jemmer left some paper work in your office. Just finish filling it out and bring it back to me when your done."
I start walking to the office that Jemmer and I share.
I hear a male voice say, "Well well look what the cat dragged in."
I turn and smile and say, "Hey Mr. Peter! How are you?"
He smiles and hugs me and says, "I am good kid. My children must not know your here since I haven't heard any of them say anything about you being here. Well let me rephrase that Cody and Casey haven't said anything about you being here."
I smile and say, "I haven't told them I was going to be here. I needed a break from all the craziness going on in the states."
He nods and says, "Well I'll make sure that the kids know your here, Star."
I shake my head and grin at him before I walk off.

*A little while later*
There's a knock on the office door so I look up to see Cody. I smile at him and hold up one finger. I finish typing the report I was working on then look at him.
He says, "Wanna go grab a late lunch? I was informed you haven't ate yet and you know how my family handles that especially when it comes to you."
I laugh and say, "Should have known I was being watched. Yeah let's go grab something to eat."
Cody says, "Casey is eating with us."
As we walk by Peter's desk I give him a playful glare.
He smiles and winks at me.

*At the restaurant.*
Casey walks in and starts grinning. She sits down across from us and says, "I like this! Glad to have the Heffernan and Hedeman show back together!"
I give her a look and say, "Really, Casey?"
She grins and says, "He won't admit it to all of us but he missed you. I mean look how close you two are sitting next to each other. If I didn't know any better I would think there's something going on between you two."
I start to move away but Cody wraps his arm around my waist and shakes his head no. He looks at Casey and point blank asks, "And if there is?"
Casey says, "Then everyone will be happy, Code. Hell mom and dad tried for months to get you to break up with Jamie and to go after Star. You know they love her and she sits on a pedestal with our parents."
I say, "I do not sit on a pedestal with y'alls parents."
Cody and Casey both look at me. I sink down into my seat and mumble, "Okay maybe I do."
Casey grins and says, "Have you told her the good news yet?"
I start letting things run through my head on what he would have to tell me. None of them would be good news to me.
Cody says, "No, Casey I haven't." He looks at me and starts rubbing his neck. That's when I know it's not going to be something I like. I look at Casey who is grinning like a fool. I quickly intertwine our fingers.
Cody looks down at our hands and says, "Star, breathe. It's not bad or I don't think it is." He rubs his thumb up and down against my hand.
"Jamie and I broke up. She started more crap about you and I had enough of it. I told her I lost you once and I wasn't going to let it happen again. That if she didn't like us being friends then she could leave." He tells me.
I take a deep breath and look at him. "Are you sure that's what you want to do, Code?"
Casey rolls her eyes and says, "God. You two shut up and just kiss and be happy. Hell we told him for years to end it with Jamie. Star, you love him even if your not ready to admit it. Just one of you two ask the other out so we can get over this awkward stage."
I look at her and say, "I'm not ready for that and you both know I don't date."
Cody gives Casey a look and says, "Casey, I just broke up with Jamie. I'm not going to jump into a relationship even if it was with Star."
Casey grumbles, "You two are being idiots!"
I look at her and say, "Heard that Case."
She grins at me.

Our food is brought out so we eat and chat about everything I've missed in the last couple months until Casey ask, "You'll be here for finals right?"
I shake my head no and say, "It's a couple days before CBR's so no I won't be." I look at Cody and say, "Please don't be mad at me, Code."
He doesn't even look at me and finishes his food. Then puts some money down on the table and says, "Case, I'll see you later. I have some stuff to go do." He gets up and leaves.
Casey looks at me and says, "Star, I'm sorry. I wouldn't have asked if I knew the answer and how he was going to react to it."
I nod and whisper, "It's fine, Casey. I knew he wouldn't be happy with me when he found out. I made a promise to him years ago that I'd be here when he got this and here I am breaking that promise so I can try to earn another title for myself. He forgets I'm suspended by PRCA so CBR is where I'm now having to earn my titles and money from. I'm hoping he will get over it after he wins and we will be okay."
Casey says, "It may take some time but he will. He cares far too much for you, Star. When you two weren't talking to each other he was a completely different person. He wasn't his normal self. The last few weeks with you back in his life has caused him to start acting like how he use to."
I nod my head and say, "Take his money back to him. I'll pay for our food. Do you mind giving me a ride back to the office? I rode with him over here."
Casey says, "That's fine. That gives me a chance to stop and see dad real quick anyway."
I nod my head and tell her thanks.
She asks, "How long are you here, Star?"
"For the next couple weeks. We have an event in the beginning of July then about 3 weeks before finals." I tell her.
She nods as we walk out of the restaurant and she carries me back to the office.