Edward Rictofen

(Paris, France 1918)

I had been waiting years for this day to come. Too long have I been sitting on the sidelines, watching other scientists go out and do actual work in the field. I have spent too much time at the main base, studying my books and shoving chemicals into bottles. However, today was the day that I would finally get to travel for some hands-on experience work.

I wasn't much of a militarist, for I was only a surgical doctor. Of course my respects went to the rest of our German military, but violence wasn't necessarily my cup of tea. My works of happiness were always found in the scientific books of the world. I always just hoped to study more of close anatomy, the works of the human body. It was a fascinating subject for me, to say the least. I read books over them of course, but I never got too many chances to study very many bodies up close. This day, however, was my chance to do so.

I had gotten the briefing about two days ago, just after finishing the book Gray's Anatomy by Henry Gray. Henry Gray, an anatomist, was my inspiration, even though he was an Englishman. Thank the heavens that I learned to speak the English language as a young lad, otherwise things might've been very difficult for me. Anyways, going past the anatomy book, I was told by Dr. Aaron Groph that I was to travel with the rest of Group 935 to northern France, and that Dr. Ludwig Maxis would fill me in on the rest.

That alone was enough to make my blood rush. Sure I was only about twenty-five years old at the time, but I was confident that I would excel in my task. Traveling with Group 935 and my science mentor excited me. Group 935 was a very exclusive Special Operations group for Germany. In a sense, I was a party of this group, but only as a research operative to work under the supervision of Dr. Maxis. The goal of Group 935 was to "improve the human condition." On a more specific scale, they worked on the development of special weapons for the German Army. When the operations were complete, we hope to end the raging Great War from destroying Germany.

I walked down the halls of our base, looking for Dr. Maxis. He was usually standing around the library, the place where I'm usually at, pulling more books from the shelves. As if on cue, I found him messing with a book on a small desk. Coincidentally, it was Gray's Anatomy. He scratched his bald head and then scratched his beard as I stood in front of him. For a few moments, he didn't even seem to notice me. I glanced to the side a few times, waiting for him to say something.

"Did you find what you need in this book, Edward?" he suddenly asked me. He still wasn't looking up at me, but he was still flipping through pages of the book.

"Yes, I found it quite fascinating, actually," I replied.

Then Dr. Maxis closed the book with a sudden move and looked up at me.

"I understand your fascination with anatomy, but you know how I feel about you spending so much time with this subject. It's not a bad thing, it's just that it takes up time that you could be using to develop what I need you to develop." he exclaimed.

I looked down a bit in embarrassment, and gave out a sigh.

"Yes, I understand what you need me for. You need me for—"

"Weapons and engineering, my dear boy," Dr. Maxis interrupted, "That is your task. Stick to it."

I gave out a slight nod as I saw him stand up straight. He was bit taller than me, but much older than me. He was about forty years of age, but he had the mental and physical strength of a man half his age. It was incredible, and there was a great reason that he was chosen to lead Group 935. He was a man of science, but more of a man of curiosity. He was always curious about every new discovery of science, or any important discovery in general. Honestly, I admired that about him. He was never afraid to try something new or to do what must be done in order to achieve a newfound goal.