"So?" 

"I bet you think you're pretty special." 

I stared at her, confused. 

"You lead guys on, then you ditch them when you get bored," Georgia accused. 

My mouth dropped open. "I have no idea what you're talking about -" 

"I know you went on a date with Joel Benson, then ditched him halfway through when Luke showed his face. Who did you just ditch Brandon for?" 

Slow anger crept through me. "What are you, spying on me?" 

"Word spreads fast." 

"You know, for someone who claims to hate me, you seem really interested in my private life," I said. The anger was burning down my arms and into my hands, making me flex my fingers. 

Georgia sneered. "What can I say? Freaks fascinate me. You might think that a pretty dress and a makeover makes you God's gift to boys, but you'll never be anything but a freak." Venom dripped from her words.  

I fought to remind myself that I absolutely could not punch her. Her words were vicious, but they were only words and they couldn't hurt me if I didn't let them. At least that's what I tried telling myself.  

"Georgia," I said, my voice low and tight with barely controlled anger. "Leave me alone." 

Maybe something of the fighter in me was showing on my face, the violence I was capable of shining in my eyes because Georgia took an abrupt step backwards. There was a look on her face that wasn't quite fear but it was close.  

I turned away from her before I did something I'd regret. My hands were shaking slightly. It must be the alcohol messing with my restraint. Usually I could brush her insults off without wanting to slug her.  

"Kiara." Riley bounded up behind me. "Are you okay?" 

Quickly, I arranged my face into happier lines. "Fine. Why?" 

"How come you rushed out of the living room like that?" 

I shrugged, deciding to go with the truth. "Brandon was getting a bit intense." 

"Are you surprised?" Riley grinned. "You look amazing tonight, K-girl. I'd be shocked if he could keep his hands off you." 

Her words eased the tight knot of anger inside me, but I couldn't help wishing it was someone else saying them. This was probably the best I'd ever look and Luke wasn't here to see it. I wanted him to see it.  

Riley slung an arm round my shoulders. I could smell the beer on her breath. "You're not looking happy, Kiara. We need to turn that frown upside down." 

She dragged me over to the kitchen counters. On the faux-granite worktop, trays and trays of shots were laid out. Riley shoved a shot glass of clear liquid into my hand. "Get that down your throat, girl." 

I should have said no. Going home drunk would probably get me banned from socialising for life. But for some reason I couldn't refuse. Tilting back my head, I drained the shot. Fiery aniseed scorched my throat and I gagged.  

"Congrats on your first Sambuca," Riley laughed, seeing my expression. She shoved another shot into my hand and, like the idiot I was, I drank that too. 

After that, everything started to get sort of blurry. Riley pulled me back into the living room, urging me into a frenzied dance. My head spun from the alcohol, but I didn't complain when a bottle of beer somehow found its way into my hand. Everything faded around me, colours sliding together. Several times I stumbled in my stupid heels, but there was always someone there to hold me up. Hands grabbed me in places I didn't want, but every time I swatted them away there were always more.