Chapter Four

Autumn's POV:

"So how come you haven't texted me lately?" Payton asked as I slid into my seat before our English class started. I looked over at her annoyed face and gave her a pleading smile. 

"I'm sorry Pay, you know how hectic it is with my brother and now that it's soccer season and such. I get swamped with homework too at night." I wanted to kick myself in the head for the pathetic excuse I gave her. She chewed on the end of her pen as she leaned towards my desk. 

"Well, I was trying to tell you that Zack was talking about you in gym class yesterday with his friends." She had a very devious smile on her face now.  

"Oh... uh what about?" I asked as I opened my notebook to start taking notes down that were on the board.  

"You of course! He was talking about how he totally wants you and everything!" She exclaimed excitedly. I felt my cheeks turn red as I thought about that for a moment. Zack was one of those popular non jock guys in the school. Most girls wanted him of course, so why would he even consider me? 

"Why?" I asked stupidly as I took a glance at her, she was dumbfounded. 

"What do you mean why? You're hot dumbass!" We shared a laugh as I turned in my seat to look at her. 

"First of all, no I'm not." I stated,  holding my index finger up, "and second of all, I don't  have time for a boyfriend right now."

"Why not?" A masculine voice came behind me. I cursed to myself as I noticed Payton's surprised yet excited face. 'Man.. seriously?' I turned around and to no curiosity; it was Zack. He had a toothy grin on his face. As I looked up at him, his skin was a light tan with hazel eyes. He definitely was cute...I smiled up at him as I cleared my throat. 

"Oh, hey there." 'oh hey there? What the hell was that?' 

"Hey, so why don't you have time for a boyfriend?" He asked in a smooth yet guyish voice. I felt a lump in my throat start to build up, wonderful. 

"Uhm, well... I just uh... don't really have the-." 

"She's just kidding; of course she wants to date right now." Payton interrupted me. I looked back at her with a worried glance then looked back up to him. 'Not cool! I really didnt have time for this...'

"Oh, well that's good to hear." He smiled as he took the seat next to my own. "So, I was thinking. There's this huge concert this Saturday, some local bands ya know? I was thinking maybe you'd like to go with me?" 

"Oh I can't... I have to take my little brother to one of his Karate less- Ow." I said as I looked behind me to see an innocent Payton looking elsewhere. Yeah, she totally just kicked me in the back of the leg with those fucking heels of hers. 

"So, you'll be busy?" He asked in a solemn tone.  

"No, she'll have her mother take him." I was about to protest when I felt another jab at my leg. 

"If you keep doing that..." I growled as I rubbed the back of my leg. 

"Alright cool! So, I'll pick you up?" 

"You can pick her up at my house, she's staying the night on Friday" Payton informed him as she handed him her address. He smiled at me once more before getting up and sitting down with his friends. 

"Payton...seriously? You know I'll be busy." I complained. She rolled her eyes as she pulled out her notebook, noticing the teacher was now here. 

"Yeah well, don't be. You need to start making time for a boy, Autumn. Otherwise... people will start to think you're gay or something." She said as she started writing. I sighed as I slumped in my chair. Class felt like it was dragging on for days. Like seriously I felt like I was there for an entire week listening to him go on and on about some book and how it impacts on us all as a human race.