Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

Enter the Fuzz

He had probably asked for it.

Ratchet fumed silently to himself as he tried his best to concentrate on the movie that was playing before him. The day had darkened considerably since the beginning of The Other Boleyn Girl, and the sky was now dark and washed with warm, rosy colours.

It was a wonderful, artistic creation, he had to admit. It was feeding his interest in English history quite marvellously, and it was a welcome relief to be away from the overcrowded Autobot base for a change. Having a few hours away from being the butt of every prank in the arsenal of those accursed twins was a blessing, and he was more than aware of it.

But he was constantly distracted by the female human in his passenger seat.

Mikaela had abandoned him. The scheming femme had decided to go to the mall whilst they were watching the movie, to 'get some more popcorn' and providing the extra excuse of 'I may as well get the stuff I want now so we can head straight back afterwards'. The devious traitor had fired those pitiable excuses at him and then skipped off to buy her new shoes, leaving him oh-so-conveniently alone with his spark partner.

The spark partner in question, oblivious to his predicament, was sitting in his seat and nibbling at the edges of her burger bun, which she had picked apart bit by painful bit and consumed in separate pieces. It was an peculiar way to eat, but he supposed that all humans had their odd little habits.

She was clearly quite engrossed in the plot of the movie, and was leaning out of the open window of the Hummer on her elbow to hear the dialogue between the characters.

Ratchet had been the same when Mikaela was still in the cab, commenting on the events of the movie with Rose and asking questions about the Tudor time period, but then she had betrayed him for a pair of shoes. He loved his charge dearly, but at this particular moment he wanted nothing more than to give her an extremely long talking-to about the suitability of her actions.

The young woman finished her burger with a wrinkle of her nose, clearly unimpressed by the taste of the food, before she leant her head on her arms and continued to watch with tears in her eyes, apparently touched by the emotional quality of the movie.

He studied her carefully through his internal optic sensors, hidden in the vehicle.

Rosa Lee Connelly was looking more and more lovely in his eyes with each passing day. Her hair was the colour of the element known as copper, her eyes the colour of a stormy ocean under a star-struck sky. Now, with tears building up in them, they were glistening and bright, and he was beginning to find his detachment from her quite... difficult.

It had been thoroughly embarrassing when two of the characters in the motion picture had become sexually intimate with each other - Rose had looked as if she had wanted the ground to open up and swallow her whole, and Ratchet had been having an inner paroxysm at the realisation that he was with his oblivious spark partner - potentially a mate - and was being subjected to this. Luckily, Mikaela had still been there and she had, mercifully, struck up a conversation to distract Rose and the mortified Ratchet.

As Mikaela had saved his aft then, he decided he might not lecture her for too long upon her return.

Oh, slag this abominable situation! he cursed in his mind, hoping that she could not sense his anger and frustration with himself. He could not cope with this situation. But he supposed he should say something to her, or Mikaela would have his head.