The Beginning of the End

"Courtney!  It's officially over!" Bridgette exclaims, her blonde ponytail swaying back and forth.  She wraps the preppy brunette into a bear hug.  "And we're all going to be in California!"

Courtney had applied to Stanford and actually got in.  Bridgette had applied for a surfing program with her boyfriend, Geoff, and also to study veterinary medicine.  Bridgette got into UC Davis and Geoff got into a small public college nearby.  Courtney smiles as Bridgette releases her from her grasp.  "We're finally leaving Canada." Courtney says, hardly able to fathom it.

"Finally is right," laughs Heather, another one of her best friends. Courtney only had two, that were girls, at least.  The way she'd run her Student Council President campaign hadn't exactly sat well with most of her peers. Heather was recruited for an internship in California, something that had to do with the government. Heather glances over Courtney's shoulder and spots her longterm boyfriend, Alejandro, who was accepted into the same mystery program that everyone suspected his dad had gotten the two of them into.  They had been together since freshman year when Alejandro's father had to live in Canada as a diplomat, so Alejandro was essentially an exchange student that never left, (who just so happened to fall in love with the bad bitch in school).  "Oh, there's Alejandro. Peace!"

Courtney shakes her head as Heather runs off to catch up with her beau. "Those two...". She makes sure everything of hers is out of her locker before she shuts it, and she and Bridgette begin walking down the hallway to exit their high school for the final time. 

"Yeah..." laughs Bridgette.  "When are you moving?  Geoff and I are leaving right at the start of summer for the surfing program."

Courtney sighs.  "Aw, Bridge.  I'm gonna miss you so much!  My move isn't until the first week of August."

Bridgette smiles that sweet little endearing grin of hers.  "I'll miss you, too, girl, but don't worry!  We can hangout when you come in August."

"Very true." Courtney replies.  The girls walk in comfortable silence, taking in what was their lives for four long years, yet in disbelief of how fast time flew.  During their silent venture out into the courtyard, they run into two very prominent people in their lives, Geoff and one of his best friends, Duncan.

Bridgette drops her messenger bag and wraps her arms around her boyfriend, kissing him on the mouth.  Geoff smiles into the kiss and gives Courtney a fist bump once he and Bridgette part.  "Wassup, Mocha?  We were waiting on ya!"

Courtney giggles.  "I caught onto that."  She shifts her gaze from Geoff to Duncan.  "What are you doing here?"

The token high school bad boy gives her his classic smirk and leans forward from his seat on the stairwell's wall he's perched upon.  "You know why I'm here, Princess."

She rolls her eyes and tightens her grip on her bag.  "You never let up, do you?"

Duncan chuckles.  "It's the last day of high school, Court.  Who am I to break our daily tradition?"

"You mean the tradition where you wait for me to exit the school everyday for four years to ask if I'll go out with you, which I've refused everyday for the last four years?" Courtney taunts, raising an eyebrow. 

"Technically, this has been going on since kindergarten, babes." Duncan tsks.  "And, technically, you didn't refuse me everyday..."

Courtney scoffs and begins to descend the steps.  "In your dreams, neanderthal," she shouts behind her. 

Duncan stands up and calls, "You wish, Princess!"

Geoff and Bridgette exchange looks.  "What was that about?" Geoff asks.