Old Habits and New Habits

Start from the beginning

I ran down to the beach and got into a canoe. I rowed all the way out to the spot and followed close behind the thing. The other campers were in awe as they watched how fastly I had gotten into the canoe and out to the middle of the ocean. The thing lead me to what looked like a whirlpool, I anchored the boat and looked down. I couldn't see anything but the water. But, at the same time, the thing was gone. I looked around and knew what I had to do. I put on a snorkel and took a deep breath. I closed my eyes as I jumped into the freezing water.

I started to swim towards the bottom of the ocean. I was stopped by an underwater cave. I swam into it and ended up in a beautiful cavern. I climbed onto the shore and stared in awe. I couldn't hear or see anything odd or suspicious. There was something that shined in my right eye, I turned to the right and looked around. I walked to the right and started to look high and low. Finally, I found a beautiful golden heart-shaped locket. I brushed the debris off it and held it to the cave light and just as I was about to open it, there was a knocking sound coming from behind me. I quickly stuffed the locket into my pocket and dove back into the water and started to swim back upwards. I climbed into the boat and rowed back to shore, it was starting to get dark and I needed to find somewhere quiet to get a good look at the locket. After I docked the canoe I ran back to my cabin, I grabbed the letter and my picture and ran to the woods. As I entered the woods I passed Duncan, "Clover?!" I didn't stop. I kept running and running, I didn't care if he followed me or if he thought I was crazy, I needed answers. I ran and ran but, it didn't do much good because I ended up falling like 5 different times. When I finally stopped, I sat down behind a tree and took the locket out of my pocket. I held it up to the moon and examined it. I went to open it but, I heard a branch breaking. I stuffed it back into my pocket and peered out from behind the tree. "Clover? Clover are you out here?! Clover! It's Duncan, Please! Come out!" I took a few deep breaths and spoke quietly. "Duncan?" "Clover?! Where are you?!" "O-over here." He ran over to my general area and called out again. "Clover?! Where? I can't see you!" "Back here." He ran behind the trees and looked around. When he finally saw me, he sprinted over to me and fell to his knees. "Clover?! Are you ok?! What happened?! What's wrong?!" It took me a few minutes before answering but when I did, I made zero eye contact. "I-I just needed to go for a run." He grabbed my chin and forced me to look at him. When he saw how cut up I was, he picked me up and carried me to camp. I don't think I stayed awake the whole walk back because, when I woke up I was back in the infirmary. "Wh-what?" "Clover! Thank god you're ok!" Duncan hugged me and I don't think I've ever felt more awkward in my life. "Wh-what happened?" He sighed and looked me in the eyes. "I'm not sure. You rowed out to the middle of the ocean and jumped in. You were in the water for about 15 minutes before you resurfaced, I was beginning to think that you had to do another challenge." He smirked and looked down. "Then when you got back to shore, you ran up to your cabin before anyone could stop you. You then ran into the woods and passed me. You didn't stop or anything, you just kept running. I went back to my cabin and grabbed a flashlight and sweater then went looking for you." He looked up at me and back down to his feet.  "Clover- I... I was so worried about you. I don't think I've ever worried about someone so much before. When I found you, you were freezing so I put my sweater on you and picked you up. Then brought you here and that's when Chef fixed you up." I looked down and saw that I was wearing a black sweater with a white skull and crossbones. "Duncan- I..... I had no idea. I'm sorry for making you worry, I just needed to go for a run..... I guess." He took a deep breath and I tried to get up. I fell off the bed and let out a groan. Duncan picked me up and carried me back to the cabins. He layed me down on my bed, he smiled sweetly as he covered me up. "Get a goodnight's rest. You need it." He left the cabin and I fell asleep.

"HELP!! PLEASE! IS ANYONE OUT THERE?! PLEASE I NEED HELP!! HELP!.....please" I tossed and turned trying to wake myself up from this nightmare. "PLEASE ANYONE! I NEED HELP! No.. please.. don't...." No matter what I did, I couldn't wake myself up...or so I thought. "Oh. It was all just a dream." "That's what you think Dearie." *evil cackle* "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I woke up in a cold sweat and screaming at the top of my lungs. I checked the time, '3:30 am' I then looked around and saw all the other campers surrounding my bed staring at me. I looked over at Duncan and noticed the worried look on not only his face but, everyone elses. "Clover? Are you okay?" I wiped some sweat from my face and took a deep breath. "Uh- yeah. J-ju-just a nightmare." I sat up and turned to sit on the side of my bed. "You were screaming for help." "Sorry DJ, I didn't mean to scare anyone. I was just having a nightmare and couldn't wake up. Go back to sleep you guys." Everyone, but the girls on my team and Duncan left. "Are you sure you're going to be ok?" "I'll be fine Duncan. Go to bed. Goodnight" He left the cabin and I let out a heavy sigh. "You sure you'll be ok?" "Yes Gwen, I'll be fine. I'm just gonna go for a walk and clear my head." I jumped down and got my slippers on. "Whose sweater?" I looked down and realized that I was still wearing Duncan's sweater. "Oh! Uh- Duncan's. He let me wear it yesterday." I left the cabin and headed towards the mess hall. When I first left, I put my headphones on and tried to calm myself down. When I got to the mess hall, I went to the freezer and started to punch a bunch of frozen meat, to get my edge back. When I got too cold, I left and went for a jog. I was up all night trying to calm myself down and regain my strength. By the time Chris woke everyone up, I was coming back from my 7th jog in the woods, I was exhausted. But, I made sure to keep my strength high, reflexes strong, and guard up. When everyone got ready and headed towards the mess hall, I was on the side of the mess hall punching my duffel bag that I filled with toilet paper and tissues. Sweat was dripping down my face and back, Cody, Harold and DJ walked over to me. "Hey Clover." "Hi." "Uh- It's Cody incase you didn't know." "I know. I also know that Harold and DJ are with you." I heard faint shocked outbursts. "How did you-?" "When I was 5, I learned ninjutsu. Not only did it teach me how to fight, it also taught me how to pay attention to my surroundings." I stopped punching my bag and turned around. "Harold, hand me that towel." He handed me the towel and I wiped my forehead with it. "So, what can I do for you boys?" "Just making sure that you're ok." "Thanks DJ. But, I'm fine." "Y'know, Duncan couldn't sleep for quite a while last night." I took a glance behind them and saw Geoff. "Really?" "Yeah. He was worried sick about you dude." I pondered on the statement then, packed up and left. I got cleaned up and went to breakfast. When I got there, I instantly went to Duncan. He smiled and I took his sweater off. "It's a little dirty and probably smelly but, do you want your sweater back?" "No. I gave it to you to keep. Something to remember me by. And don't worry, before either of us leaves, I'll spray some cologne on it." I chuckled and got breakfast.