"Mom?"
"Dining room."

I crutched into the kitchen and then into the dining room. I gasped when I saw Carli and dropped my crutches. I limped over to her and fell on top of her on the chair. She chuckled and hugged me tight.

"What are you doing here?"
"To visit my beautiful niece."
"Out of the blue? That's unusual."
"I didn't come alone if that's what you find unusual."
"Wha-"
"How is it everyone gets a big hello and we get blanked?"

I turned around and saw Tobin, Allie, Ashlyn and Ali. I smiled at them and limped over to them.

"Rachel Julieta Rose Press! How many times have I told you about walking on that ankle this past week?"
"Only like a million times."
"Then why are you still doing it?"
"Just to annoy you mom."

I chuckled at her and hugged the girls. I looked at the other girls and saw Julie smiling stupidly.

"What are you smiling at?"
"Your middle name is Julieta. I'm going to shorten it to Julie. Now you're named after me, your favourite."
"I beg a differ."

The playful arguments began then and I couldn't help but walk over to mom and sit down on her lap and watch it unfold. She wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her chin on my shoulder and held me close to her. I looked down at my hands and fiddled with my thumb. She's not going to come. I hoped she would but that's what I get for getting my hopes up.

"Hey, what's wrong?"
"She's not coming, isn't she?"
"Look Rach, I know this is tough on you. She hasn't exactly been the best mother to you but look around the room. Look at all these idiots. They're all here because of you. Because they love you, nearly as much as I do. Which is a lot. They care so much. Don't let her ruin your day."
"Thank you for bringing them here."
"I thought you might enjoy it. Now, go get your bag and we'll go. I know you want to go early and it's already seven."

I stood up and I felt her looking at me as I limped to my crutches. I grabbed them and used them to support me. I turned to face her and stuck my tongue out at her and she chuckled. I crutched out of the dining room through the kitchen and down the hall to my room. I opened my door and crutched in. I looked at my bed and saw a box on it. I crutched over and looked at it. I grabbed the envelope and opened it.

Dear Rachel,
I'm sorry. I haven't been the best mother to you these past few months. I want to make it up to you any way I can do as an apology, until I can do it in person, I got you this. I hope you like it.

Lots of love,
Alex xx

I set the envelope down and looked at the box. I slowly unripped the bow and opened the box. I smiled when I saw a Pride jersey. I took it out and turned it around to see Morgan 13 on the back. Another piece of paper fell out and I bent down to pick it up.

I've been thinking a lot lately and I've decided that being here, in Lyon, without a doubt has been the best experience I've ever had, but it wasn't meant to last. I've got a family that I need to be there for. I need there to be there for you. Which is why I've decided I'm coming home. I know we won't be together a lot but at least now I'll be closer. I love you Rach, more than you could possibly know. I hope you enjoy the first day in the next chapter of your life. And if you'll accept me, I'd like to play a motherly role in your life.

See you soon kid,
Alex xx

I brought my hands to my eyes and wiped them. I held the jersey tight to me. I was surprised it smelt like her. I limped over to the mirror and looked at myself.

"I wish you were here mum."

I closed my eyes and held the jersey close into me. I was wearing my O'Hara Sky Blue jersey under my jumper. I grabbed my phone and bag and set them on the bed. I took off my jumper and wrapped it around my waist. I put my phone in my pants pocket and put my bag on my back. I grabbed my crutches and crutched out of the room. All the girls were waiting for me in the hall and I heard most of the groan.