22. I'm Feeling Sick

Start from the beginning

I frown back and get on my knees excitedly, "What? Is it Matthew? Is he okay?" I say frantically as my eyes widen.

"They're not sure,"

This time my brows raise, "What do you mean, 'not sure'?" I asked frustratedly. What happened?

"Well they just brought in a whole lot of injured soldiers that they found, most in serious condition, but most are alive and they said that Matthew may be one of the soldiers and that this would be our best chance," He concluded and I'm almost bouncing off of my seat, Matthew might be here? As in the same country as me?!

"Well, where is he?!" I ask.

"They're all down at the hospital and they want us to go down there to possibly identify him." He says.

"Let's go!" I practically yell at him as I grab his hand and pull him out of my room.

But my dad tops before we even get to the stairs. "Brooke can't come," He says. "There will be a lot of things I don't want her to see including Matthew in that state."

I nod my head, "I'll call for a babysitting." I say.

He shakes his head, "I was thinking I'd drop her off at the West's so she can play with Maddie and Charlotte can look after her," He tells me.

I suddenly feel uneasy, and just a little bit sick. I slowly nod my head, "As long as I don't have to see him," I tell my dad quietly.

He smiles a little but agrees non the less.

Twenty minutes later we are sitting in the car and on the way to the West's house. I'm trying my hardest not to think about who might possibly be inside while Brooke complains to dad.

"But dad! I want to go! He's my brother too! This is just mean!" She whines with tears streaming down her face.

"I'm sorry Brooke. I know you deserve to see him but I don't want you to remember him like that or see all the other horrible things in there. It's not going to be nice at all," He tells her sadly as his eyes flicker to the review mirror to look at her in the back seat. I watch as a look of guilt washes over his face but we both know that he's doing the right thing. A hospital full of pain and blood would not be good for her. She'd have nightmares for years after that.

"How come Jules gets to go?!" She continues.

I look over at dad and I can tell he doesn't know what to say so I decided to speak up, "Because I'm old enough. And once you reach my age you'll be able to do grown up stuff too," I say.

She just glares at me as she folds her arms over he chest in protest. I sigh and turn back around in my seat to face the front just as we pull through the grand gates on the West house. Sink a little in my seat once dad parks right out side the door. I don't dare look at the house. Instead I settle for the stables that's right in front of me. It's a fair way away, but I can still make out a few horses heads that are peaking out.

Dad argues with Brooke for another five minutes before he has to drag her out of the car.

"Brooke! Stop fighting me," He says angrily.

"Then stop treating me like a baby," She snaps back.

"Then stop acting like one," Dad says back as he pulls her by her hand towards the front door I allow myself a glance at the door as it opens.

I sigh once I see it isn't him. It's Mrs West who gives me a small smile and a wave which I return sheepishly. My eyes then wonder around the huge house, I'd forget how big and grand it looks.

My breath catches in my throat as I spit a figure through the window on the second story. He's staring down at me and even from here I can see what looks like guilt in his face as he stares down at me. I quickly turn my head away, breaking our gaze. It was making me sick to think he's right there. But when I gather the courage to look back he's gone.