Put on the Mask

The sun shone through the curtains in Nikki's new room. Nikki stretched and rubbed her eyes. As she looked at her alarm clock, she realized she only had 10 minutes to get herself together before her first day at Mandeville High School. Rushing, she put on sweatshirt, leggings, and some black converse high tops and headed downstairs.

Her mom looked at her with a weary face and proceeded to place breakfast on the table. Quickly grabbing a freshly made pancake, she slung her backpack over her shoulder and ran out the door. The bus was filled with all kinds of kinds, and she made her way to the very back, where she sat, staring out the window at the gray, uninviting, sky.

The bus jerked and came to a halt in front of another stop, where more kids climbed on, excitedly talking about their summers. One girl sat next to Nikki and smiled. Nikki looked up. She was beautiful, with blond hair tumbling down her back, peircing blue eyes, and lovely skin. She was wearing a stylish brown leather jacket and heeled boots, with blue denim jeans and lots of jewlery. "I'm Rebbeca." She said. "Nikki" Nikki replied back, smiling as well.

Rebecca felt confident about starting school again. Her skin was perfect, and she was getting compliments on her makeup from everyone. It was like a dream.

The two girls talked the entire bus ride, and found out they had the same classes upon arrival at the high school. Eagerly, Rebecca grasped Nikki's hand and they rushed to their first block class. "Miss Hollingsworth?" The teacher, Mrs. Vicky said. "Present!" Said Rebecca, raising her hand. "Miss White?" "Here!" Replied Nikki, also rasing her hand. And so, attendance went on and on, but suddenly, in the middle of class, things got strange.

Rebecca bolted out of her seat, panting, and begged the teacher for a pass. Everyone assumed she was just sick, but Nikki asked permission to check on her. She walked into the bathroom, which was silent, expect for Rebeccas frantic panting. "Rebecca?" Nikki called softly, and walked in. She stumbled back as Rebecca turned around, her back to Nikki, and screamed, "DON'T LOOK AT ME!" "Rebecca!" Nikki said. As she went to help her, Rebecca grabbed her hand. It was icy cold. "Everything is fine, go back to class." "Now." She said firmly. With that she dropped Nikki's hand and fled into a stall. Dumbfounded, she shakily made her way back to her seat. Who was this girl?

Nikki remembered a flash of something in Rebecca's hand as she slammed the door shut. A mask.