Chapter 5

Melody's POV:

I look around wildly for my twin, but I can't find her! Oh no! Serenity? Serenity!! I scream until my voice is hoarse and I can't breathe. A giant figure looms above me and smashes its fist down on me. I run. Dark woods engulf me and I can hear footsteps behind me. I run even harder fear pumping my legs inhumanly fast. I try to spread my wings and fly but they disappear! I'm scared, hunted, and alone. Utterly alone. Serenity is gone and I am by myself. Leaning against a tree I try to catch my breath, but then the tree turns into a monster!

With a scream I burn it down and suddenly I'm in the courtyard of King Alas. Maybe Dai is here and he'll help me. I look around and nobody stops to help me. My heart still pounding I spin around to find people screaming and flames swallowing one of the castle turrets. No! Who's doing this? When I turn to help someone they take one look at me and scream. My heart twists painfully when I realize I'm the one dong this. I'm causing all this destruction and death. I finally lost control. 

Melody! Someone is calling out my name. I whip around to find Serenity with a knife pointed at me. Serenity? I call and to late I realize its not Serenity. The impostor drives the knife deep into my chest and pain blossoms in my body. Every nerve on fire and black spots dance in my eyes. Right before I die the figure melts into Dai. No... He leans in close and whispers:

"This is all your fault Princess. Serenity died because of you." 

No no no no no No No NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I scream and someone shakes my shoulder.

"Melody! Melody! Stop thrashing! Its okay Melody!" Someone says in a soothing voice and I gradually calm down a bit. 

Then I open my eyes and find Dai holding my shoulder tightly and the nightmare comes flooding back. I visibly tense and try to get away from him causing Dai to frown. I can't help the fear from flooding into my eyes along with tears. They come flooding down my face and I can't stop them. Dai frowns even deeper and his brow furrows. Gently he wraps his arms around me and holds me tight against his chest murmuring comfortingly. I can feel myself gradually relax, but the tears keep coming.

"Shh. That's it just let it out Melody. Its alright. Your okay now. I've got you." Dai murmurs and I can't help but smile. 

Even though my nightmare still rings in my mind, I feel safe right now. And surprisingly, I feel safe with Dai. After I stop crying Dai pulls away and looks at me calculatingly. I can already tell what's coming from the look on his face. 

"Melody... What happened?" He asks and I search his face for any signs of sarcasm of spite. Finding none I take a deep breath.

"I had a nightmare. I was alone and I couldn't find Serenity no matter where I went. I screaming until I couldn't breathe for her and got no answer. Someone tried to smash me and I ran into the woods. I was being hunted but I didn't know by what, and I couldn't catch my breath. When I finally stopped to catch my breath I had to burn a monster to escape the woods. Suddenly I was here and everything was on fire. 

I realized it was me and that I wasn't in control. I was so scared. Eventually I heard someone calling my name and thought it was Serenity. When I turned around it was Serenity holding a knife. I didn't comprehend what was happening when she lunged at me and drove the knife into my chest. Right before I died Serenity became you. And you were laughing at me saying it was all my fault. All my fault." I spill the whole nightmare out to Dai. 

I keep my head down and wait for Dai to laugh at me or leave with a sarcastic comment. But he doesn't. Instead Dai pulls me into a hug and whispers:

"I would never hurt you Melody. I can't. I'm here for you when you need it." In my ear. 

I can't help the shivers that run down my spine at his voice. Looking up into Dai's gorgeous red eyes I know I could spend all day looking in them and never leave. Then I remember my mission. Serenity and I have to rescue Father and get out of here. But now I don't know if I want to leave. I can't understand what's going through my head right now so I just close my eyes and lean into Dai's chest.