Chapter 15: Foxcastle

Nothing happened to the Aerily's crew through the Burning River except Prometheus having to explain it was named for its warm water, not because it was a river of lava, as Hecate, Eris, and a now awake Iris thought.
Sapphirus and Myhrra also spent some time teaching Hecate how to wield her new staff, rather than use magic all the time.
As the crew reached the shores of Tempus Insula, it was slightly before midday. Myhrra left her boat anchored and promised to return to it. The group crunched their feet along the green-purple grass, heading northwest. The sun did not beat down hard, as cloud cover arrived and a soft breeze blew. No wind spirits appeared though, hostile or otherwise. The aurae here apparently did not have any ties to Aeolus. Within an hour, the small group could hear giggling and the fluttering of wings. They climbed a small hill- Hecate with some difficulty- and came across a large city with buildings in trees.
    "Treehouses?" Hecate panted. The group stared down into the valley and beyond, as dozens and dozens of treehouses sprung into view. Flitting between them, were creatures that seemed to fly. They had the bodies of foxes: soft red-orange fur with white underbellies and black noses. Their tails were large and matched their fur color. Big ears protruded from their heads. However, from the foxes' backs, enormous wings extended, gleaming in the sunlight. The wings were every shade of purple imaginable from as light as lavender to as dark as plum. Prometheus led the group down the hill they had climbed, down toward the fairies. Eris and Iris turned their heads every direction and tried to stare at everything while Hecate concentrated on walking. Sapphirus lead her down the hill, her tail supporting one of Hecate's legs. Myhrra's wings fluttered nervously. The group approached a smaller fairy who was picking berries from a bush and placing them gently in a wicker basket. It was roughly the size of a cat, and its wings protruded about two feet from its body on either side. Prometheus kneeled down.
    "Excuse me," he started, and the fairy jumped in the air, surprised. It squinted at the fire god, then let out a squeal.
    "Meester Metheus!" it chirped in a high pitched voice, "It is so wonderful to see you!" the fairy hopped around in the air, wings flapping happily.
    "What brings Meester Metheus to Castle of Foxes?" the fairy asked quickly.
    "We are looking for Malum, sir." Prometheus responded politely, "Do you know where he is?"
    "Meester Malum?" the fairy looked skyward, "Yep, yep! Meester Malum is just that way, maybe three wing flaps!" the fairy pointed with its paw and nose to the west.
    "Thank you, sir." Prometheus said kindly.
    "Careful, Meester Metheus," the fairy warned, "Forbeeden Fairies today. Meester Malum meet with Forbeeden Fairies."
    "We will be careful. Thank you." Prometheus nodded to the others, and they tromped to the direction of where the fairy directed.
    "Well, shit." Myhrra swore, "We've got to deal with Lizar."
    "Who is Lizar?" Iris asked.
    "What are the Forbidden Fairies?" Eris questioned.
    "The Forbidden Fairies are the original fairies created by Lord Khronos." Prometheus explained, "Lizar is their leader."
    "Why are they forbidden?" Iris asked.
    "Each is tied to an element. Lizar is a fire fairy, Erin is water, Grace is earth, and Odin is air. Malum, the fairy leader is an arcane fairy. In fact, all fairies are lesser arcane beings except the Forbidden Fairies."
    "So they are forbidden for having a non-arcane element?" Eris asked.
    "The assholes are forbidden for playing jokes on gods and other fairies." Myhrra scowled.
    "Only Lizar is a joker," Prometheus advised, "Erin keeps him in line, mostly."
    "The Forbidden Fairies have ridiculous plans and sometimes change personas very quickly." Sapphirus explained, "In one moment, they can be sweet simple creatures, the next they are screaming for blood." The group was quickly approaching a large elder tree, where six fairies were gathered. Two had magenta wings, the other four had other colors. One, whose fur was orange and yellow and wore circular glasses, had ruby red wings. A blonde haired fairy with blue paws had golden yellow wings. A fairy with chocolate brown fur had small green wings. The last fairy had blue-white fur similar to Sapphirus' horns and tail and had sky blue wings.
The red winged fairy seemed to be arguing with one of the magenta winged fairies.
    "Malum," the red winged fairy squeaked, "I know I have been terrible before, but this time I mean it! Things are happening! I can feel it!"
    "What kind of things, Lizar?" the larger magenta winged fairy asked.
    "I do not know!" Lizar cried, "Something big! Erin, tell them!" The blonde fairy fluttered forward.
    "Lizar is telling the truth. I have felt something too. So has Grace. The Underland gods are upset, so is Aeolus. Malum we need help." Malum fluttered his wings anxiously. Then he noticed Prometheus and the group.
    "Prometheus!" he cried, and flew away from the other fairies to sit on Prometheus' shoulder. Hecate, Eris, and Iris stared at the fairy. His fur was greying slightly, and he was the only fairy that did not have a high-pitched voice.
    "What brings you to Foxcastle?" Malum chirped.
    "We need your help training an arcanist." Prometheus replied.
    "Hey!" Lizar shrieked, "We need Malum's help as well Mister Prometheus. You must wait."
    "Now Lizar, I have heard your claims-" Malum started but was interrupted.
    "Lizar was not lying." Hecate blurted, "Underland gods are unhappy. Aeolus is upset as well." Malum looked at Hecate carefully.
    "Who are you to state such claims?" he wondered and flew to face her.
    "I am Hecate. Firstborn of Aeolus. I've come to be trained by you to make sure he harms no more." Hecate said strongly.
    "Yeah," Myhrra agreed, "And we think the ol' sky bastard is planning to take the Enchanting Files."
    "The Enchanting Files?" all six fairies squeaked, "Then Father Khronos is in danger!"
    "That is why we need your help, Malum." said Prometheus. Malum fluttered in place. He gazed to the five fairies behind him.
    "Rosea," he called, "Take Erin and Grace into our tree. Keep them comfortable." The other magenta winged fairy nodded and yipped at the yellow and green winged fairies. The three flew off into the large tree canopy above. Malum turned to Lizar and the other fairy, Odin.
    "I expect to see more truths out of you, Lizar." Malum said shortly. Lizar fumed. Odin shot him a look and the red winged fairy calmed slightly. Malum turned back to Prometheus and Hecate.
    "What can I do to assist you?" he asked.
    "Can you teach Hecate arcane magic?" Prometheus asked. Malum looked at the blue haired goddex. She leaned slightly on her new staff, and her candle was clutched tightly in her right hand. The flame was a bright purple. Her leather bag was hanging from her shoulder, and seemed to be too heavy for her. Hecate's lapis blue hair was messy as she had not brushed it in a few days. However, what convinced Malum was the goddex's eyes. Her indigo eyes burned with hope and determination despite being slightly crippled on her staff and appearing exhausted.
    "Alright," Malum finally agreed, "But let Hecate get some rest first."
    "We had an eventful trip." claimed Myhrra. Malum laughed.
    "Please tell me about it while we eat lunch." he flew to Lizar and Odin, "You are welcome to join us." The two fairies smiled and thanked Malum, who picked up Hecate by the shoulders and carried her into the tree, and whistling for more fairies to carry the others and to follow them into the large tree.