Heat

inspiration: not really sure lol. this was supposed to come out a while ago, sorry guys.
warnings: cute as hell m8
natepat

Heat consumed every fiber of Matthew Patrick's being as he stared into the whirling metal blades of his fan. It was just hot air being blown at him at quick rates, but it provided some level of psychological comfort that made it seem reasonable to keep it on. That, and he couldn't actually muster up enough strength or willpower to go through with unplugging the damned fan regardless of if he wanted to turn it off or not.

The digital clock beside the fan read 3:30 AM in bright red letters. It was just late enough that sleeping was pointless and just early enough that he didn't have to think about how hellish his meeting in the morning was going to be, at least for a couple more hours. All that was left for Matthew was his thoughts, along with the sleeping beauty totally stretched out like a starfish beside him. As much as he loved his husband, he would never be able to get used to his sleeping habits.

He was almost bare, other than the loose black boxers he had on. Pale skin was glowing in the moonlight that streamed through their translucent curtains, and he looked absolutely ethereal. Ebony hair fell into his face perfectly, despite laying down, he was... perfect.

Matthew could've stared at him all night if he hadn't woke up with a confused expression. His nose was scrunched up and he rubbed his eyes sleepily, tilting his head like a dog.

"Babe, it's so early, why are you awake?" he whined, using one of his hands to poke and prod at Matthew with weak effort.

"It's too hot for me to sleep. Nate, I feel like if I move at all, sweat is going to pour from every orifice of my body." He directed his point to the seemingly uncomfortable position he was stuck in, stuck on one side with his arm trapped underneath him. Mat had nearly fallen off of the bed at this point, but was managed to hold himself against the bed with one leg over the side. It wasn't the most favorable, but the hardwood floors at least felt cool under his foot.

"Oh shoot, I'm taking up all the room again, aren't I?" Nate blushed, sitting up straight then on his knees while still looking in his husband's direction, "sorry, you could've woken me up if you needed some extra space."

"You looked so beautiful, how was I going to do such a thing?" Despite the new room, Matthew didn't dare to move at all. He had finally gotten past the leg cramps and was getting situated in his awkward position. However, Nate still looked unconvinced and scooted to the very edge of his side of the bed, "honey, no, get back here and love me."

"No, no." He teased, crossing his arms, "you don't want to come love me so I won't come love you."

Matthew groaned, moving his leg up and rolling over to Nate. Unfortunately, he ended up knocking both of them onto the ground. The two were unbearably sweaty, skin slick with the gross substance and the added body heat didn't help their case. Neither one of the men made a move to get up and instead stayed entangled on the cool floorboards.

"Did you sleep well?" Mat asked, his gaze flickering over to the man beside him, "well, until I disturbed it and then knocked you onto the ground."

Nate just giggled in response, bringing one of his hands to Mat's side and running it across his skin in a soothing pattern, "I slept fantastically. I can't say I'm complaining about you waking me up, though, it's so nice and quiet this time of night. Even Skip isn't active, it's like the whole world is asleep."

"All except the one idiot that needs to be awake at six to get on a plane." He huffed, burying his face into Nate's shoulder, "I don't wanna adult today, Nate. It's so hot, I just want to sit in a bath of ice all day and eat ice cream with you."

"Hon, no one wants that more than me. It sucks but you gotta adult or else we won't have enough money to buy ice cream," Nate tried to reason, laying his head against the floor. He felt guilty, Mat was too god damn smart to be working a minor part in a corporal job. Someone with Mat's intelligence should be coming up with theories on space travel or something but he chose a job with enough money to support what Nate wanted to become. He was so passionate about music and his husband knew he couldn't spend those extra years in college if they wanted to keep their apartment, so he dropped his studies.

It kept Nate up at night, thinking of all the things his love could've accomplished if it wasn't for him holding him back. No matter how many times Matthew made it clear that 'as long as you're happy, I'm happy' he felt bad. He knew that Mat shouldn't be going to these meetings, he should be in school.

"I know," Mat whined childishly, "that means I should probably go back to bed, huh? Get a few hours in before I got to go make the bacon?"

"If you ever use that phrasing again, I will punch you.

Softly.

In the mouth.

With my own mouth.

Because I love you."

With a smirk, Mat emphasized every word again, "Make. The. Bacon."

"You asked for this!" Nate cried out, gently placing his hands on either side of Mat's face and kissing him softly before pulling away, "I'm sorry it had to come to that. You should really go to bed though, gotta get some dough."