~ Prologue ~

It had been a few days since the end of the Kalos League and Ash was soon to leave the region

It had been a few days since the end of the Kalos League and Ash was soon to leave the region. Ash had a stellar performance in the Kalos League but ended up losing in the finals to his rival Alain. His friends were saddened by his loss but were happy he got so far, and Ash was proud of himself for getting that far and had little to no disappointment. Why should he be? It had been the best he performed in a league to date, beating his semifinal appearance in Sinnoh. But all in all, he was all happy, and he had every right to.

It was time for the plane to depart, so Ash had to finish up his goodbyes. He had already said it to Clemont and Bonnie, so there was one other person he had yet to say it to: His childhood friend Serena.

"Well, I guess it's time for me to go. It was great meeting up with you again. I'll keep in touch." Ash stated.

"Yeah, I will too." Serena replied in a depressed tone.

"Don't worry, I'll be all right. You take care, okay?"

After Ash said that, he turned the other way and started to walk towards the plane, only to be stopped by Serena from behind as she wrapped her arms around him.

"Please stay. I don't want you to leave." She said, tears starting to form up in her beautiful blue eyes.

Ash released from her grip and turned around and put his hands on her shoulders. "I want to stay too... But I've got another journey ahead of me and I don't want to miss out on it."

"But, I'll miss you so much. I don't want to be separated from you again like when we were kids." She said as warm tears started running down her cheeks.

"I don't want to either. But I promise one hundred percent that I'll keep in contact."

This only caused more tears to run down her face faster. Ash took his hands and wiped them from her cheeks, only for them to be replaced immediately. Ash soon moved his hands from her face to her shoulders and looked directly into her eyes.

"I completely promise you that I'll contact you every so often and promise that once I'm done in the next region that I'll come visit you here in Kalos. Is that okay?"

Serena was fine with that idea but the expression on her face didn't change. "Okay." She said quietly to the point that only Ash heard her.

Ash smiled and pulled her into a hug, which caught her by surprise. She slowly wrapped her arms around his back and looked down at the ground. Him hugging her made her feel a little bit happy but thought about the fact that this would be the last time she would touch him for a while, which was a depressing thought. After a hug that lasted about a minute, Ash let go and made eye contact with her again.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye. I promise that I'll contact you every so often. I'll see you soon." He said and turned around and walked away, turning his face back towards the others and raising his hand in the air to signal goodbye. Clemont and Bonnie raised their hands back at him in return but Serena didn't. She didn't have the heart to. She lifted her head back up and saw him as he and Pikachu walked towards their plane.

This was the last time she was going to see him for a long time, and it wasn't going to be easy getting used to the fact it was happening again....