Investigation

Sometime after the incident in the attic it's evening and there's a knock at the door. Henry sits at the base of the stairs and watches. The father, who Henry still hasn't figured out the name of, opens the door and Henry stands up to see who's there.

The whole family has been anxiously waiting in the living room for an hour now, whoever is coming must be important.

Henry sees a woman with long hair in braids and two guys carrying bags standing on the front step. "Hello, I'm so glad you came," the father says, "please come in. I'm Dan, this is my wife Lauren, and these are my three children, Jake, Jess, and Frank."

The three of them walk into the threshold but the woman stops there.

"What is it Kayla?" one of the men asks. "Did something bad happen here?" she asks, her head tilted as if she heard something. "What?" Dan asks.

"Kayla here is psychic," the other man tells Dan and the rest of the family, who watches from the adjacent living room, "she helps with picking up things that we normal people can't catch." With that Kayla glares jokingly at him but then diverts her attention to the top of the stairs.

Henry feels particularly small at the moment, maybe that's why she can't hone in on where he's sitting.

"Oh, well yes, actually," Dan says, "there was a young man murdered upstairs around when the house was first built." "Ah," Kayla says, turning her attention back to Dan. 

Henry doesn't think she's a fraud, he just thinks that he's reserving energy for tonight now that a psychic's here so she can't really notice him at the moment. 

They go to the dining room table and set their bags down, the family hovering around them. "So," the man with the lighter skin begins, gesturing with his hand, "my name is Robert, this is Jordan, and this is Kayla, our resident psychic. We're gonna be doing EMFs, EVPs, stuff to try to see if there really is a ghost and if we can communicate with it."

"So you're actual ghost hunters?" Frank says wistfully. "Yep," Jordan responds. "That is so cool," Frank sighs.

"Do we have to go anywhere or are we fine staying in the house?" Lauren asks.

"I don't think the entity is malevolent," Kayla replies, "you should be fine staying here while we work. Speaking of that, do you guys have an attic?" "Yeah," Jake pipes up, "we found some old stuff in there last week and we saw a figure." "Could you show me?" Kayla asks.

With that they troop upstairs to go up into the attic. The teens refuse to go back up there but all the of the paranormal investigators go. Henry doesn't want to be reminded of the things up there at the moment so he goes back downstairs and looks at the camera on the table.

When everyone returns downstairs Kayla is holding his picture. "Oh," Henry sighs. "Man, I thought we were going to get some readings up there for sure," Robert says, running his fingers through his hair and looking at a gadget in his hand.

Henry stands up and walks over to them. When he gets close the device that Robert is holding starts to light up. "What?" Robert exhales, holding the device up to see it better.

Kayla moves closer while Jordan goes to get another device. The family stands by the couch and watches hesitantly. "I think there's something here," Robert says.