Prologue

"The art of being nice, is knowing what to overlook." -- William James

Prologue

"Sorry. I can't."

For the nth time, I rejected yet another guy. I didn't know why they kept on going though I clearly said that I-AM-NOT-IN-TE-RES-TED! Ugh! Male ego!

Couldn't they just accept the simple fact that I was not-in any way-in seach of a guy. They knew nothing about me for Pete's sake. Not even a single thing about my past, about how I was. I was pretty sure that if they knew the real me, they wouldn't be that determined to hear my 'Yes'. Myself from two years ago was very different from what people see in me now. I was basically an average girl, with a common face who wanted to live a normal life-until second year.

An incident happened which made me think of ways on how to improve myself, to make me the better Chloe. But I didn't know that what was better for me, meant worst to them. I was then hailed as the heartless queen, the heartbreaker, the manipulative bitch. But hey! Not my fault, was it? I was just being true. And for the record, they were the ones behind my transformation.

For about the whole time, people said stupid things about me and the guys I dumped. The truth was I didn't have anything against those guys. Not even one complaint about them. They were all fairly young, nice, handsome (and some were even filthy rich) guys. What more could I say? But there was just a part of them that didn't seem right. Something was lacking and I have no idea what it was.

What they saw in me? I actually had no clue. Based on my judgment, I was obviously more on the average side, one of those who were barely noticed. Never did it occur to me that my looks could pass as some head turner prima donna.

I wasn't looking for Mr. Perfect, neither Mr. Right. I was totally fine by myself, with my friend and my family. Anything can be pulled off without me having a connection with anyone, right? Attachment? That would only make things complicated and I sure as hell didn't want that.

Free and simple. No guys, no commitment. Things were better that way, it was better my way. I didn't care what other people think or say about me. I know who I am and I am just being me. If they misinterpret, not my problem. Got my own list to deal with anyway.

"Added one guy on the list.... DONE!"

Vanessa, my evil best friend made a list of the guys I turned down. Seriously, where on earth did that stupid idea come from? I feel like a bitch counting how many hearts I broke. It was countless I know, but a list to prove it? That was insane!

Most people wondered why we're together, why we're best friends. We're actually the most opposite of the opposites.

She was the perfect example of my i-thought-this-is-me self. Not the head turner type but the wallflower, not Ms. Popular but Ms. Invisible. She wore glasses, but not those insanely thick ones. What she wore was the one which boys like, the i-have-like-two-girlfriends-when-she-takes-off-those-glasses type of glasses. Do you get what I mean? Maybe you're wondering why Van wasn't noticed when she can be that hot. Well, actually, she's from the 1800's who lived 'till now. And it was no joke.

Knee length skirt, long sleeved blouse, hair tucked in a bun, was that how a seventeen year old girl should dress up? We're in the 21st century for crying out loud! For almost a million times, I asked her to at least loosen up a bit and for the billionth time, she told me she won't. How could she be so hard-headed?

I grunted. "Can you throw that list away please? It's sickening." I said as I crossed my arms over the white wooden table of the cafeteria.

She looked at me then shrugged. She continued scribling on the page where the 'new guy's' name was written creating a doodle out of it. If it was any other girl's dumped guys' list, I would've laughed it off and think of Van's doodles as cute. Unfortately, it was my list. Needless to say, it irked me and it wasn't helping my conscience a bit.

I snatched the purple steno notebook from her and quickly slid it in my messenger bag which was sitting on the empty chair beside me, "If you don't, I will."

She sneered at me, "That's mine Chloe! Give it back! You've got no right to do that!"

I smirked, "Nah-ah. For all I know, it's all about me. And I can't remember giving you permission to do it. Soooooooo."

She sighed in resignation, crossed her arms in front of her un-noticeable prominent chest and muttered to herself.

We were both seventeen but she acts like half our age. I'm cool with it. Honestly, that was what I like about her and that's what makes it easier for me to hang out with her. Sometimes, I wonder if quirkiness was contagious, 'coz when I'm with her, I find myself doing crazy stuffs (which was, in every way, not my thing.)

"You know what Clo, that's insane. Just give me back my notebook!" I knew she was starting to get irritated, her pale white skin slowly turning red and she was tapping her foot non-stop. Anytime, that would hit the air and land on my face. Getting on her nerves wasn't on my list of priorities.

Without any second thoughts, I handed her the notebook and shook my head, "Just stop that crap, Van and we're done!"

If my voice sounded fierce enough to make her realize what I wanted to convey, I was not so sure. I have had enough of that list and I don't want anything to do with it anymore.

Van has been scribbling on it since second year high school, and we're now on our fourth year. I didn't even know if that's the same notebook from two years ago. She was writing one guy's name per page and I thought that's pure stupidity. I mean, who would waste a page to write a single name on it? Well, okay. I know. It was Van.

After arguing about the crappy list during break, I find myself idly sitting beside the enormous sliding window for history class.

I really find the class tedious. Just by looking at Mrs. Sanchez, I could already feel all the parts of my body getting bored. As in really, who else in the earth talks as slow as her? Name them and I'm going to make sure I won't talk to any of them.

"C-----h------l------o-"

Before she could even finish my name, I knew I was the one she was gonna call. It was times like these when I thought I could have a future in fortune telling. But only when Mrs. Sanchez was involved. How could she say my name like there were ten syllables in it? She was on for the record for saying Chloe for five long seconds. I actually took note of that.

I raised my hand and lazily got on my feet.

"Someone is looking for you," whispered Brianna, my seatmate. We have been seatmates ever since I could remember. It was like we were destined to be seatmates, and I was like, duh? I could count on my hands how many times she talked to me for the past, what? Eight years? So yeah, I was just exaggerating. But thanks to her I didn't need to wait three more minutes for Mrs. Sanchez to finish the line.

I took a deep breath, got my butt out of the room, not minding if I disturbed the already disturbed class of Mrs. Sanchez.

Now, now, who was him? I knew it was a him, it was always a him. I just didn't know who was the him that time. I was getting tired of it actually.

I looked around but didn't find anyone. The two meter wide corridor looked so huge and spacious for not even a single student was wandering. I felt like having Kenophobia being in this state. Did the guy change his mind and decided not to show up?

I waited a bit more. Maybe he just wanted to see if I will wait for him. I don't usually do it, curiosity just hit me. It had been five minutes, still, a no show. I guess he did was was best.

I've decided to go back.

While on my seat, it kept me thinking. Weird.

--

If you're reading, gonna read, or read this....

thank you, thank you and another thank you! :D

Comments, votes and fans are accepted with arms wide opened >:D< HAHA....

Again, many many many thanks :D

UD : Chapter I

xxNami