Chapter 24

ello ello ello, I'm kind of thinking about changing the title to this story! If anyone has any ideas on what a better title could be, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it ^.^ also, i'm so sorry for how long it's taken for me to upload - things have been hectic/exhausting and i've just not been up to writing for a while, but i hope you enjoy this chapter anyhow

~*~*~*~*~

When I wake up, I can feel the grass through the blanket I'm laying on. My head is resting on Blair's shoulder and when I finally lift it up to look over at him, I see that he's already awake.

"Morning." He accompanies this with a kiss, right on my lips.

"Morning to you, too." My words are mumbled, his lips still attached to mine.

It takes me a moment to collect my thoughts, and when I do, the events of last night hit me with full force. All I can think is, 'holy shit, did that actually happen? holy shit holy shit, it happened'. 

Looking up, my eyes meet Blair's, and his are filled with worry. I'm hoping he can't magically read my thoughts somehow, because everything in my mind is jumbled and all over the place. I can't believe we had sex. But I also can. Because with Blair, everything feels so natural. But still, my face is no doubt a mask of something that looks like regret, even though it isn't. I don't regret it at all. It's just... I had sex. With a guy.

I almost want to punch myself, but I don't, even though I can't believe that thought even crossed my mind. I've been dating Blair for what feels like a long time now, I shouldn't still be getting weird over the fact that he's a guy. And I'm not. It's not weird at all.

"Lucas - are you okay?" Blair's lips are turned down into a frown. 

I wonder about it for a second, before deciding that I am. I really am. "Yes." I smile, slowly, up at him. He studies me for a second, causing me to laugh, before he finally believes me and laughs, too.

"Good." He kisses my forehead, and I can feel my heart racing and my cheeks blushing with memories of last night. I know that it will be forever ingrained in my mind. Blair chuckles at the sight of my red cheeks and I lightly slap his butt as he stands up and begins to pack things up.

I get up and help to pack away everything from last night, and within minutes we're ready to go. Looking around at the nature before me, I smile and make sure that I will remember exactly what this spot looked like, with the tree's branches above me and the view before me. And then I take Blair's hand, give him a kiss on the cheek, and we find our way back onto the busier streets. 

Soon, we're standing on the doorstep, and walking inside, and getting changed (not together, unfortunately). I'm walking back out the door after another, much longer kiss, and I'm making my way back to work.

When I arrive, the shop looks darker than usual from the outside, so I double check the time before walking in. Inside, Phil and Rian are standing in the doorway at the back of the store, their hushed voices instantly falling silent when they notice I've come in.

"Morning," Phil says with a smile that looks like it's been manipulated in front of a mirror, to try and look real. It doesn't.

Rian puts on his own smile, and starts talking about how great sales have been as Christmas starts to get closer. He then walks over with the smile still on his face, and I can tell that it's at least partially true; "You've been working with us for a month, Lucas." It takes a moment for this to sink in, but when it does, I find myself struggling not to break into a huge grin. "We've already discussed the details but I just thought I'd remind you that your pay will go into your account the twenty-fifth of every month. So, it will have gone in this morning, actually." At this I do smile, because I've been waiting for this moment, and I know exactly what I want to use the money for.

"Thanks Rian." I try not to look overly ecstatic. "Thanks Phil." I smile a little at Phil, who is still in the doorway, barely smiling anymore until he hears me and flashes me a quick one.

Behind me, I hear the front door to the shop opening and closing. Rian's smile disappears, so I turn around to see what's caused his upset. Walking through the door is the girl from yesterday, who came for an interview. 

She walks towards me and Rian with a sheepish smile and I have to remind myself all over again that it's not her fault Phil and Rian were fighting. At least, I don't think it is. 

"Hi, I'm Annabel." She tells me, probably sensing that I've completely forgotten her name from yesterday, if she ever introduced herself.

"Ah. Lucas." I shake her hand, simultaneously trying to shake off the bad feelings I seem to be getting about her. "Nice to meet you."

She returns the pleasantries and we chat for a little while before Rian tells us that it's time for the shop to open. It's only then that I notice that Phil isn't in the doorway anymore, or in the room. I wonder briefly how long he's been gone, before customers start piling in and the shop becomes more busy.

Annabel picks up the ropes quickly, and before my lunch break I notice her talking with Phil, who looks like he's straining to keep the smile on his face.

Still, after eating my lunch, I make sure there's enough time for me to do what I really want to do before my next shift.

"Buying something today, Lucas?" Rian looks surprised as I stand in front of the till, a customer instead of a server for once.

I proceed to tell him exactly what I want to buy, and even end up telling him the reasons I want it. All in all, I end up spending a good half of my paycheck in less then a few hours after recieving it, but I don't regret it for a second. I've been waiting for this for too long to just let it pass.

The next few hours are antagonising, as I spend each second of them waiting for the moment that I can get outside and back home and use what I've bought. The smile on my face is completely unstoppable and even when a customer starts shouting at me to be more helpful and stop 'staring at the products customers want to buy and be blimmin' helpful enough to actually sell 'em instead,' I find myself replying with a hasty apology and another huge grin. Even when the same customer walks out the shop, mumbling about 'kids these days, high all the blimmin' time, even at work,' I still find myself chuckling under my breath instead of getting mad.

When it's time for me to go home, I don't even bother to hide the smile on my face, or to try and get rid of the chipper tone to my 'see you tomorrow's. The whole way back to the field that Blair took me to last night, I'm sure I look ridiculous. But I don't care at all.

At the field, I send Blair a quick text saying I'll be home slightly later, before pulling out my well spent money in the form of a camera I have been wanting for months. As I hold it before me, I'm almost taken aback by how wonderful it feels to actually be holding it.

Still, I wait. I wait until the sun is setting, camera in hand. And then I film the views from the top of the hill, and some close-ups of the tree we laid beneath less than twenty four hours ago. I get in as many angles of possible, filming clips of nature, and taking plenty of photos. And the whole time I find myself smiling at little things, like the rays of sun leaking through trees in this shot, or the clouds in the distance in that shot. 

And when the night starts to grow a little darker, I take the final few shots and leave, making my way back to Blair, who I know will be waiting for me with open arms and a smile of his own. And I feel so content. And so in love. And I hope so badly that he knows it, or that he will soon, at least.