Chapter 12: Surprise

Finally the day of the tournament had arrived. Helrium was more lively than ever with tons of people crowding on the streets.

"Come here and place your bets!"

Sounds of the crowd echoed throughout the entire town. It was sight to behold. Doriama and Raion blended into the crowd with their cloaks and entered into the Colosseum. The entire Colosseum was filled. Not an empty seat was seen, the whole place was crowded.

As the place was getting situated a man appeared from the center of the ring.

"Esteemed guests! Welcome to the annual [Zodiac Tournament]! I will be your Master of Ceremonies for this tournament Mourno!"

The place erupted in cheers.

"I'm sure I don't need to go explaining the format, but just in case there are any new comers out there, I'll be kind and give you the rundown. This tournament consists of 12 chosen candidates that were picked by their respective Zodiac Clan Leaders. The first part of the tournament are the three man battle royales. The twelve candidates will be split into four groups of threes and battle it out. The winners of those group battles will go on and be paired into a single elimination bracket until there is only one winner. The winner of course will get a Spirit Animal Egg and their Zodiac Clan will be granted one wish."

The crowd cheered as Mourno kept on going.

"Now will the Twelve Zodiac Clan Leaders please show yourself!"

Around the Colosseum were twelve evenly spaced out thrones that perfectly circled the arena. From the back came out the leaders to sit on their thrones. In order, first came out the Rat then Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Dog and Pig. The Rooster was of course absent. Beside each leader was their candidate.

The crowd again erupted in cheers as they saw the clan members. Each person in the crowd shouting for their favorite leaders.

"Oii Doriama, what are you going to do? They're going to start this without you."

"Just wait a bit Raion, patience my friend."

Mourno brought out a lottery spinner containing balls with each candidate written in each ball. He continued on.

"Now the moment you've all been waiting for, it's time to see what the matchups will be! Starting with group one..."

Mourno started spinning the lottery basket. The first ball popped out.

"Let's see the first candidate in group one is from the...SNAKE CLANN!!!!!"

The crowd cheered as Mourno spun the basket again.

"The second candidate to join in is from the...RAT CLANNN!"

Mourno spun it again.

"The last candidate to join in is from the...RABBIT CLANN!!!"

The crowd cheered loudly.

"Huh, you know Doriama when it comes to nature, doesn't the Snake candidate have a huge advantage over the over two?"

"Hahaha, I understand where you're coming from, but don't worry there's no advantages or disadvantages here."

Mourno continued on with the lottery and the other three groups were decided in the same fashion.

"THE MATCH UPS HAVE FOR THE TOURNAMENT HAVE FINALLY BEEN DECIDED! The matchups to come are as follows"

[Group One: Snake, Rat, Rabbit]

[Group Two: Dragon, Tiger, Horse]

[Group Three: Dog, Pig, Monkey]

[Group Four: Ox, Goat, Rooster]

"Unfortunately in Group Four the Rooster Candidate will not be available so Group Four will only have two candidates fighting in it."

The crowd booed loudly.

"Please be assured the rest of the match will continue as intended. Each match will surely entertain you!"

Raion turned to Doriama.

"Oi, Doriama, when are you going to make your move?"

Doriama patted Raion on the back.

"Right about now."

"What are you gonna dooOOOOOO???"

Doriama grabbed Raion and tossed him into the center of the arena. Raion landed face first causing a loud thud.

Mourno stood over Raion.

"Who are you? Do you know what you're doing?"

Raion slowly got to his feet, stumbling slightly.

"Uh..."

"Well?!"

The crowd was getting loud. They booed heavily.

"Are you not going to say anything?!"

Slowly, the crowd's antics were turned up a notch. Mourno looked around to see what was causing the uproar. He was shocked to see that the empty Rooster Throne was now occupied by a cloaked figure.

"BLASPHEMY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?"

"Calm down Mourno."

The man took off his cloak.

"D-DORIAMA???"

END