Chapter Two: What's in a Name?

The Realm of the Sea of Dreams had always been just that—dreamy. Beautiful and impeccably serene. From the blue-grey waters to the white powder lining the shores, the Realm was an attraction that many would have loved to see—except that the Realm was only open to its current inhabitants.

     The Realm of Penthos, as it was also called, had always been ruled by the Penthoseren, whose name meant “keepers of the guardian sea.” The family always ruled justly and kindly. Not a single tyrant who bore the name ever ruled.

     The law of monarchy was the same as with most monarchies. The eldest son took the throne when his father died. Often, though, the Realm was ruled by a woman, who either had no brothers or took over when her husband died.

     The Penthoseren were a line of demons descended directly from the great dragon demon Qhetelkelen. Most of them had feline blood intermixed, or the blood of elemental demons such as water, earth, and air. But never fire. Fire was the destructive element. The element of hatred.

     As the bloodline had more and more marriages outside the family with each generation, the draconic blood had become more and more diluted, but the Penthoseren never lost any of their ancestors’ traits and abilities. They were kind, witty, and very good with words. They could console you even if your entire family had just died and you had nothing left in this world. They would take care of even their lowliest subjects and keep them all happy with their rule.

     The most recent records date back to the king Marlamen the First and his wife Darinda. The queen gave birth to two sons – Jhordyn and Darius. Jhordyn was an adventurous, kind boy. Darius was younger and always jealous of Jhordyn. And when the day came that Jhordyn was to be married and the crown placed on his head, Darius simply vanished.

     Marlamen I passed the throne on to his eldest son, who married Serapheme, daughter of Hotheldon of the Western Isles and Kelacren the Wise. Both were full-blooded dragons, therefore passing the draconic traits onto Serapheme and her children.

     Serapheme and Jhordyn were just the beginning of a long and incessant journey into the mystery of the Guardians of the Infinity.