The Child Snatchers: part one

By Beau Tolson

Rose House had been empty for some five years before the Radley family moved in. From afar, it looked like any other ramshackle country pile with its moss covered bricks, leaf strewn pool, and rusted lawnmower.

But there were whispers, hearsay and legend, that black magic lingered in the house. A wickedness that wriggled within its brick. Evil entities that lurked within its shadows.

If you spoke to the local townsfolk, those who had lived long enough to hear of the first time it happened, they would tell you how they tried burning Rose House to the ground. They would tell you how flames lashed at the brick for hours but still the house remained, its darkened windows gaping like the open mouths of ghouls.

The townsfolk would tell you to never, ever go to Rose House. That if you found yourself at its tall iron gates for some strange reason you couldn't explain, or if you heard a sweet music box melody played on the air, to run. RUN!

And if you found yourself in possession of its key? If you were unlucky enough to come into ownership of Rose House? They would tell you to get in your car and drive far, far away, and to never come back.

For if you did, you might happen upon something that should never be seen. Something that should never be allowed to exist.

Unfortunately for twins Judy and Jackie Radley, their parents had just bought Rose House. And so it was on a wet and mournful Thursday afternoon when they dragged their yellow suitcases to the third floor where their new bedrooms awaited.

“We've been unpacking for hours. I'm so bored of it,” Jackie wedged a ball of purple socks into an overflowing drawer. “I'm hungry, too.”

“And me. I haven't eaten since breakfast.” Judy flung a duvet onto her bed and flopped down on top of it. “You know, I saw mummy buy cake in the shop earlier. I think it's your favourite one because you've been so poorly with a cold.”

“Spiced farmhouse cake!” Jackie's tummy rumbled in anticipation. “Let's go get some now.” Skipping out of the room, she headed directly downstairs.

“Hey, wait for me.” Judy wrapped a tartan dressing gown over the pyjamas she had worn all day – her day clothes were mostly still in boxes.

“Oh why does it have to be so cold in this house?” she shivered. “It's been cold ever since we arrived.” Rose House wasn't just cold, it was freezing. The kind of freezing where your breath came out white and water turned to icy shards in pipes.

“I hate this stupid house,” she stomped out of the bedroom. “I wish we'd never come here. I wish we'd stayed in New York.” The Radley's used to live in the big American city where they had lots of friends and a house with central heating, but they had to leave that life behind when Mr Radley, a banker, took up a new job in Essex.

Stepping into the hallway, a warm breeze as soft as melted butter brushed against Judy's olive skin. “Where's that coming from?” She looked around, desperate to experience more.

The breeze blew that little bit harder in response, tousling the fine black fringe framing her inquisitive brown eyes. “Hmm, it's warmer up there than it is down here.” The buttery breeze enticed her down the hallway, and away from her family.

The hall was long and Victorian in design. As she padded along it, the air became warmer still. Soon Judy noticed a soft glow forming around the edge of a decorative wall hanging. “So pretty,” she smiled, relishing how warmth radiated the marrow of her bones. The glow spilled onto the hem of her pyjamas as she pulled back the wall hanging to investigate. “Oh wow, a secret door!” Delighted, she pushed it inwards. The glow became brighter. Light travelled up her body until a slither met with her heart shaped face.