He cleared his throat and picked up a piece of paper.

"First, there will be additional security on the perimeters of the castle to prevent the entrance of any rebels. Second, we will be interviewing every personnel we have to ensure there are no ties to the rebels. Third, we will be cutting down the amount of staff after the interviews. Last, there will now be a security passcode to enter any portion of the castle. Anyone will be subject to questioning, so it is imperative that everyone knows the code word."

People nodded. Some took notes. Mr. Buren piped in a question.

"How will everyone know the passcode?" he asked.

"I was getting to that. During the interrogations, we will share the passcode to the remaining staff. The code knock is this," he demonstrated on the table. Knock, Knock knock. Knock, Knock knock.

"This code will be used before anyone enters a room or before anyone grants anyone access to enter a room. The code words are 'The clock is going to chime any minute now.' The code is designed to sound normal. Anyone may be asked to say the phrase and punishment will be ensured if you do not comply."

My father explained the rest of the multiple safety steps before he shocked us all.

"I'd like to give the floor to King Buren," he said.

Father never gave the floor to someone else. Never. In his office, he liked to make sure everyone he knew he was in charge.

"Thank you, King Cochran. As some of you know, our family was present the night Princess Braelynn was attacked. We saw the attempt firsthand, and as a result, we would like to offer some of our guards to be positioned around the castle as some extra help. Do not fear to question them as well," he announced proudly and everyone around me clapped politely. I reluctantly joined in. It was a nice offer.

"That is all the information I have at the moment. This meeting is adjourned," my father said and everyone scattered. I lingered in my seat for a moment.

"Are you sure this all will keep them away?" I asked.

"We can only try," he answered softly and gestured me over to the door.

Maddon was waiting for me when I came out. He offered me his arm and I gladly took it, wrapping my hand around his elbow.

"What was the meeting about?" Maddon asked.

"New rebel safety measures. You'll find out soon. I don't know if I'm allowed to tell you yet," I answered and steered us to my lounge room.

After a few minutes of party planning, the code knock sounded at my door.

"Password?" I asked.

"The clock is going to chime any minute now," a voice sounded.

"You may enter," I said and the door creaked open. Maddon was looking at the interaction with a confused face.

"Princess, Prince Buren is waiting for you outside your quarters. He has requested a walk," the guard said.

Maddon and I stood and walked over to the wooden doors.

"Could you walk behind us, please Maddon? We need some privacy to talk," I asked and looked behind me as Maddon slowed down. He looked down at the floor, his lips pressed tightly together.

"Ah, princess," Ford perked up when he saw me, but frowned when he saw Maddon. "He's still around?"

"Yes, and he will be around for a long time."

"Shall we walk?" Ford asked and offered me his arm, similar to what Maddon did earlier. I found myself reluctant to take it.

"I just wanted to say that I have had somewhat of a rude awakening these past couple days. The news and sights of the rebels attacking your kingdom made all of this seem real," he began.