ten

we never talk about that day in the store.

she acts like it never happened, like she never broke down and held on to me like i was the only one left.

but it makes sense, because why would someone like her ever want someone like me? i think about her every night, the soft curve of her lips and the somber look in her eyes when she thinks of him. and i can tell when she does, because she stops talking and it's as if her entire body shuts down.

i'm laying in bed and listening to the cars go by. it's early and i don't have to be anywhere today, so i stay in bed beneath my white sheets, staring at the colorful roses that i had embroidered many months ago. the light is peeking in through the curtains which makes it harder to fall back asleep, but i can't find the energy to shut them or turn the other way.

my eyes aren't heavy anymore, but all i want to do is fall back asleep and let the hours pass by. it's better that way, because then i don't have to think about how she'll never be mine.

maggie pushes open my bedroom door and trots in, her collar jingling as she does so. she sits by the edge of my bed, gazing around as if she's trying to see if she can get up.

i close my eyes and picture ashley's warm complexion, her nimble hands, her slim body. the way she sways her hips when she walks and smiles when she asks me how i am.

maggie jumps up and lays down beside me, her muzzle grazing against my arm as she gets comfortable. i pet her a few times before wrapping my arm around her, closing my eyes again.

i don't even have to say what i dream of. it's always her.