three

'finish with the boxes yet?' brenda asks, her smile plastered on her tired face. i just nod like i care and go back to stocking things on the shelf. the bell rings and i sigh, keeping to myself. this is the first time i won't be looking at the door to see if it's her.

i move the box to the side as i hear footsteps so i can let them pass by. i put stickers on all the pasta boxes and line them up in a row. the footsteps slow down and i turn to face the person behind me. 

'excuse me, i was wondering if you know where the candles are. like for a cake.'

she's standing in front of me. she's talking to me. i fight the urge to look down at her lips. i stare at her eyes instead as she waits for my response.

'yes. i'll show you,' is all i say, walking over to a different aisle. she follows and i try to calm my beating heart. 'there's a lot to pick from. mostly birthday candles. if that's what you're looking for, you're in luck,' i laugh nervously, clearing my throat.

she smiles at me and i smile back, my palms beginning to sweat. 'thank you.'

i walk away and go behind the counter, unlocking the cigarette cabinet to pull out the pack she always gets. i lay it on the counter and as she walks up and glances at it, she smiles again, giggling.

she looks as if she's about to say something but then tom, another co-worker, moves me aside, taking over the cash register. 'oh, i was already being helped,' the blue haired girl tells him, looking over at me. 

'she doesn't work the register. she does the shelving,' tom replies, not even glancing my way. ashley makes eye contact with me and i look away quickly, glancing down at my shoes shamefully.

'doesn't she get tired? she does that all by herself?'

'don't worry about her, she's fine,' tom snaps, standing in front of me completely. i bite my lip. 'have a nice day.'

ashley grabs her stuff and leans against the counter, maneuvering her body so she can see me. 'thank you for your help.'

then she leaves, but not before giving tom a dirty look.