Chapter 3~Sleepless nights

Shawn's POV (yay)

I lay wide awake, staring up into the darkness. I never sleep, not after what happened. It haunts me. It kills me.
Slowly, it breaks me. I should have been there, I could have prevented it, but no. I'm never there. But this time, this time. I'm not leaving Bella's side. I will not let it happen again.

Bella's POV

I stare up at the ceiling, Jack's soft snores fill the room. I can't help but want to know more about Shawn's past.

What happened to him when he was in the army? Why did he become a bodyguard? There's so many questions that I know he just won't answer...at least not yet.

I sigh hesitantly unwrapping myself from the covers, trying not to wake up jack. I tip-toe towards the door.

I freeze as I hear jack stirring in his sleep, thankfully he settles again. I let out a breath.

I gently turned the door knob and pulled the door towards me slowly. I step out into the hall and close the door behind me. I quietly make my way downstairs and into the kitchen.

I grab a glass from a cabinet above my head and fill it with water. I gulp it down and place it in the sink. As I  head back upstairs I bang into something hard. Before I can scream, a hand clamps over my mouth.

"Shh, it's just me, it's me" I immediately recognised the voice and relaxed. Shawn must have notice because he unclasped his hand from my mouth.

"Are you ok? I'm sorry I didn't mean to frighten you" he worries.

"No it's ok" I smile.

"What are you doing up so late?" I ask Shawn making my way back into the kitchen, him following closely behind

"Couldn't sleep" he mumbles.

"Yeah, me neither" I say sitting on a stool. Shawn sits opposite me.

"So. How old are you Bel?" Shawn asks.

"I'm 18" I reply, he nods.

"Are in Uni?" He asks.

"Yes, I'm studying law" Shawn raises his eyebrows.

"You seem surprised" I chuckle.

"Sorry, its typical of me but I though you would be studying singing or acting...maybe modelling" I laugh.

"No it's ok, I get that a lot...but the truth is, I don't want to be like my farther. I just want the people I love like my family and friends to know me, not the whole world. But I mean I kind of lost that privilege when I was born" Shawn chuckles.

"I want to live by my own rules, be myself and not worry about what the world will think and whether there will be a news article on what I bought from the super market." Shawn laughs yet again.

"I want to be able to make mistakes and not be judged by it. Because realistically when your in the public eye, you could be the kindest person ever, you know? You could give to charity, help the homeless, foster children, anything. But you do one thing wrong...and that's what people know you by...and I don't want that." Shawn nods understandingly.

We sit for a while, in silence. But it's not awkward, it's a nice silence.

"I'm going to go back to bed now. I'll see you in the morning Shawn" I smile, he sends me a nod before I disappear back into the dark hallway.

I climb back in bed and jack immediately wraps his arms around me and kisses my shoulder, I smile and turn around so I am facing him.
He lazily opens his eyes and smiles sleepily. I place my lips on his.

"I love you jack"
"I love you too Bel"