CHAPTER THREE

Betty

I put the soft toys I picked up for George in Chicago on my bed, finding the cute jumpers and pyjama onesies next to them. There was a baby boutique near the hotel we stayed in, and I couldn't resist. Laine sent a photo of him in the electric car, and baby suit I bought him for his birthday, and it inspired me to update his wardrobe, not that he needs anymore. The boy is spoilt rotten. In a good way, of course. And now I can spoil Edward and Delilah's baby rotten when he or she gets here too.

There's a knock on the door, and then it opens to reveal my sister's blonde head. I freeze on the spot feeling like a caged animal getting stalked by its prey. Laine who is carrying a sleeping George closes the door with her bottom. I don't make eye contact, busying myself with putting my dirty clothes in the washing basket.

"Is it okay if I lay him down on the bed? It's too noisy out there for him to nap," Laine whispers.

I nod. "Sure. I'll watch over him."

"You're missing out on all the fun. Levi is telling us about his trip to Amsterdam," she says, placing George in the middle of the bed, shushing him when he stirs.

"Am I?" I mumble, pointing to the pile of baby clothes. "I bought George a few things."

"Oh, Betty, thank you," she leans over and pulls the cream knit cardigan out of the bunch. "This will be super cute with his blue chinos."

Small talk with my sister is similar to plucking out strands of hair one by one. Tedious and painful. We no longer have anything in common and more times than not, I find myself hating her guts. It's a toxic way of thinking, but I think it's granted. I mean, she did end my world with a knife in the back.

Tears randomly fill my eyes, and I quickly swipe at them, so she doesn't see. "You know, I'm pretty tired. Can you take George into Ed's room?"

Laine hesitates for a moment and then takes a cautious step forward. "Betty, are you okay?"

"I'm tired," I respond, shutting my suitcase to sit it in the corner of my room. "I don't usually sleep for long, so when I get the chance to close my eyes, I do."

"But, you've hardly spoken to anyone."

I listen to my family's laughs and chatter and feel a hard lump form in my throat. "I think they are okay without me. I'm not in the mood to be social tonight."

"You are constantly secluding yourself from us. Betty, I'm worried," she says, a hitch in her voice.

I snort hard. "You are worried about me?"

Laine's cheeks blush a light pink. "Yes, I am."

Without any warning, she comes in to wrap her arms around my shoulders, but my reflexes kick in, and I skirt out of the way rushing to my door. The door handle jiggles a little in my hand, and then it releases, and I'm out of the room and heading for the bathroom directly opposite, ignoring Noah's concerned voice calling my name. Escape. I need to get away.

I push my way into the bathroom and lock the door before anyone can get inside, very nearly crumbling to the ground if the bath wasn't there to support my fall. I open my mouth on a silent sob and put my fist into my mouth to quiet the noise. The wooshing in my ears telling me my blood pressure is rising and a panic attack is around the corner. Anxiety takes over my life. It's always there looming and ready to strike when life gets hard.

"Betty," Edward's voice shouts, and the door rattles when he thumps against the wood. "Open up."

Pull yourself together.