Not The Typical Party

It was beautiful. The back drop of rolling hills, a blue shadowed screen hanging between two large oak trees and picnic blankets laid randomly along the grass, it was all lit by the twilight sun dipping into the hills. It looked like a scene out of a movie, exactly how I wanted it to be.

"We did it Ro." I smiled, squeezing my best friend arms.

Tonight was the last Friday night before school started, it marked the end of an amazing summer. Ro and I both had an interest in media so we had joined Riverdale's summer film school and tonight we were both hosting a screening party. We had decided to take advantage of the rare warm weather and hold the screening party out doors in a local field, I had always wanted to do an outdoor screening party and with the support of the local council Ro and I had pulled it off. We had only made five minute short films but we had decided with the rest of the club that after the screening we could actually play an old classic or just hang out.

"Yeah we did." Ro smiled, looking at the set-up, she suddenly turned to towards me. "Wait, Freya what about the lights? Oh my god did I forget the lights, did I forget about it, that was my job right, I don't remember, i..."

"Ro," I shook her to stop her from over panicking, I was wondering when she'd notice. "Ro, yes you forgot about the lights but -"

"No buts, I've totally messed it up haven't I?" Ro's face fell completely and she covered her face with her hands. I couldn't help but smile, maybe I should've told her earlier.

"Ro I did say but, and the but is because yes you forgot but I took care of it. Look." I told her, she slowly uncovered her face and her eyes widened when she saw the lights all switched on. 3

Her face lit up again and she pulled me into a hug. "You're the best!" She laughed in relief "I really thought I'd gone and messed it up."

"It's not me you should be thanking." I told Ro as I pulled away. She gave me a puzzled look.

"It's me actually." We both turned to the voice that belonged to a boy that was coming out of the gazebo at the entrance of the field. He was tall and skinny with black glasses, he adjusted his beanie as he walked towards us.

Jai Brooks, a friend of Ro's that I had gotten to know this summer and the only boy I knew who wore beanie's in the summer.

Ro didn't hesitate to run over to Jai.

"My hero." She laughed looking up at him as soon as she hugged him.

"That I am." Jai grinned looking down at her. The blush creeping up his neck couldn't be missed, his smile fell as soon as Ro pulled away.

"Okay you two lovely people, we have a party to host." Ro declared walking away to the gazebo.

"Damn!" I heard Jai mutter just as I walked past him, his eyes hadn't left Rosa. I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing.

"What was that?" I hung back to fall in step with Jai.

His eyes widened when he realised I had heard him. "n...n...nothing." He stuttered.

"I know you were checking out my best friend." I smirked, crossing my arms.

"I was saying damn this party is going to be good." Jai stuttered, his tone said it all. He wanted me to let it go.