Chapter 2

I was back at my window the next morning, my sleepless nights having returned with Wes, along with a darkness that I feared would take me down for good this time.  The anticipation for school tomorrow was debilitating. The last time Wes and I saw each other was intense. Too intense. Earth-shattering intense. Did he blame me for what happened? It was a horrible accident. Even now, pain radiated throughout my body like a radioactive time bomb as my muscle memory relived the injury. I hurt everywhere.

"Knock, knock."

Incapable of moving my head in Kendra's direction, I fixated on the raindrops that pounded my window fiercely. It was ominous outside, foreshadowing my impending doom tomorrow.

"Your mom called me to stage an intervention." She crawled onto my bed.

"An intervention is normally attended by more than one person." I smiled weakly.

"Your lack of social competence changed the rules," she responded smartly.

"Ouch. Nice intervention."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. Besides, I have the same social ineptness." She sat back on the bed.

"By choice," I reminded her. "All the girls want to be you, and all the boys want to be with you. I'm just your wing girl." I kept my voice absent of any petulance. In all honesty, I didn't envy Kendra. I saw how uncomfortable the attention made her. I was convinced she became my friend so she could hide behind me—her invisible cloak.

She sighed. "I'm not joining your pity party. I'm here to get your butt out of bed."

"What if I don't want to?" I challenged her. "Besides, I am out of bed. See?" I waved to the window seat I was perched on. However, the bed did sound much better right now, so I crawled under the blanket. "Now I'm in bed."

"Fine. Then I'm going to get under the covers with you and breathe loudly in your ear until I drive you absolutely insane."

Keeping her promise when I didn't move, she climbed beneath my sheets, throwing her arm around me, positioning her mouth as close to my ear as possible, and breathed in and out deeply. Her breath tickled, eliciting a laugh rather than the annoyance she was hoping for.

"Even your breath is perfect. Is that mint?" I finally sat up, surrendering to her serious lack of intervention skills.

"Yes." Her smile was bigger-than-life.

"Yes, you're perfect, or yes, it's mint?"

"Both." She winked.

Amused disbelief forced a smile. Throwing my blankets off, I shuffled back to the window seat. The chill from the storm outside penetrated the glass.

"Is that the same shirt you wore shopping?" she asked, disgusted.

Sheepishly, I turned to her and showed her my best innocent smile.

"Gross. Shower. Now." Kendra pointed her finger to the bathroom.

"Seriously?" I raised one of my eyebrows in defiance.

"Yes! Go, or I'm telling everyone you fainted because of a boy." Her arms crossed tightly over her chest and her lips pressed in a promise.

My heart stopped at the mention of him.

"You're turning white." Her eyes widened in recognition. "That's why you fainted?" She threw her hand over her mouth. "Are you going to faint again?"

With rushing speed, Kendra ran to my side. If I hadn't been sitting, I probably would have fallen to the floor.

"I...I think a shower's a good idea." My voice cracked. I stumbled off the window seat and made my way to the bathroom and locked myself inside.