A Quest

Ch. 8
Percy sat across from Reyna as they finished their breakfast inside a little bistro in the city of New Rome. Reyna had told him bits and pieces of her life growing up on Circe’s Island and her split with her sister while they walked around the city before sitting down to eat. Percy had kept things vague while making sure not to outright lie to her as she tried to siphon some information about his past out of him. He couldn’t really complain, he did enjoy her company. She was intelligent, tough and not to mention beautiful, making the tour of New Rome far more interesting than the one he got from Jason.
“So, why did you really choose the fifth cohort? You must have a reason for wanting to go to the weakest cohort in the legion.” Reyna asked looking at him carefully to pick up on any tells he might give away.
Percy smiled as he watched her doing exactly what he did when he asked someone a question.
“There’s a challenge in being the underdog. Why join the best when I can join the worst and then help them kick the best in the ass?”
Reyna’s eyes narrowed, “That would never happen. The first would wipe the floor with your cohort.”
Percy laughed, “I see a lot of talking but I’ll believe it when I see it. Besides, I like Jason. He could use some help whipping them into shape.”
Reyna smiled awkwardly, “Yes, Centurion Jason is a good legionnaire.”
Percy raised an eyebrow and smirked a bit, “You two seem tight.”
Reyna pursed her lips, “He is a friend. I am not here to find a date. I am here to train and help defend this city and my people.”
Percy smirked, “And yet here you are, on a date with a charming son of Venus on only his second day in the legion. If you’re not looking for date, you’re doing a pretty poor job.”
Reyna’s eyes widened and a hint of red tinted her cheeks before she glared at him.
“This is not a date. I lost our fight and am holding up my end of the wager.” She said indignantly.
Percy shrugged, “As you wish Reyna. I must thank you for keeping your end of the deal. I suppose I should get back to my cohort.” He said in a bored tone as he tossed an excessive amount of denarii on the table and stood up.
Reyna looked down at the money then up at him confused.
“That’s way too much to cover our breakfast.”
Percy started to walk away, “The waitress was cute.” He said casually as he walked out of the bistro without a second glance.
Reyna narrowed her eyes as she watched him disappear. She felt an ugly feeling creep its way inside her before she scooped up half the money left on the table and followed his lead in leaving the restaurant.
She caught up to him outside as he made his way out of the city. She shoved the money into his hand making him smirk slightly as he turned to look at her.
“I thought you said you weren’t interested?”
Reyna’s face turned a funny shade of red, “I’m not. That was just a waste of money. The waitress is most likely a legacy of Venus and one of your relatives anyway.”
Percy rolled his eyes before his hand shot out and stopped a faun running past. He shoved the money into the wide eyed nature spirit’s hands.
“Go buy yourself a good breakfast.”
The faun stared at the denarii in shock but Percy started to walk away before he could even respond. Reyna followed as she just stared at ‘Jack’ making him chuckle.
“I doubt he was a legacy of Venus.” He said dryly before resuming his walk.
“You are insufferable Vidar!” She snapped back as she tried to walk away.
Percy snatched her hand in his to stop her. She turned to look at him with narrowed eyes but he just smiled in response.
“I meant no offense Reyna. My family is quite well off and I thought the faun would have better use for the money than me.”
Reyna continued to glare at him until she realized he was still holding her hand before she pulled it from his grasp.
“We need to get back to the barracks. The day will start soon and our absences will raise questions.”
‘Jack’ nodded as he turned and continued his trek back to where his cohort would soon start to wake. Reyna stared at his back for a moment as she thought about how frustrating this demigod was. He managed to get her flustered multiple times with ease, something that never happened to her. She shook her head and took off after him after vowing to figure this demigod out if it was the last thing she did.
Line Break
The days turned into weeks and the weeks soon into months as Percy got settled into Camp Jupiter and into life as a legionnaire. He and Jason grew a bit closer as well as Percy’s relationship with Frank; something about the awkward son of Mars just amused the hell out of Percy and it made him spend most of his free time with Frank who was more than happy to tag along with his Centurion whenever he could.
It was night and the cohorts were all in their barracks passed out for the night after an exciting evening where Percy led Cohorts Four and Five to victory over the others in the war games. The night was filled with celebration for his cohort from which they were all sleeping soundly in their beds.
All except ‘Jack Vidar’ who rose from his bed without a sound, slipping past his snoring comrades and out of the barracks before making his way towards the borders of the camp at a brisk walk. He slipped past the patrolling wolves and onto the beach where the Romans and their distaste for Neptune would ensure he would have privacy.
He stood on the beach in waiting as he stared out into the sea, watching the waves lapping the shore continuously.
“Perseus,” a stern female voice said from behind him.
He turned around and came face to face with the three beautiful immortal women who had raised him since infancy, his own strange little family.
“Mothers,” Percy said with a small smile. “To what do I owe the pleasure of this summoning?”
“War approaches,” Brynhildr said seriously. “We came to see if you have acclimated to your new home and if you are ready.”
Percy nodded, “Things are well here. I have a cohort under my command and have proven myself a worthy Roman. When the time comes, I will be ready.”
Eir smiled fondly, “You have done well Perseus, you make your father and grandfather proud.”
Percy smiled slightly embarrassed by the compliment before his smile vanished when he saw Sigrún’s expression.
“What is it?”
The immortal Valkyrie pursed his lips into a tight line, “We believe she will be here soon. It seems she found a way to leave her realm and no one will be able to stop her. The war the All-Father foresaw is coming quicker than we thought.”
Percy frowned slightly but steeled his nerves, “And when it does I will do what I need to in order to send her back where she belongs.”
The three immortal maidens nodded but their expressions told him the conversation wasn’t over.
“What else?”
“The Romans will be sending a quest.” Brynhildr explained. “A quest you will be on.”
Percy raised an eyebrow, “I will?”
Eir nodded, “The All-Father has foreseen it and sent us to warn you to tread carefully.”
Percy made a go-on gesture but Eir shook her head.
“We don’t know. Odin’s sight was blocked when he foresaw your journey.”
Percy’s eyes widened, “How is that possible?”
Eir just looked at him expectantly.
“Hel? How can she even do that?”
The Valkyrie shook her head, “We don’t know but it is not a good sign. You must be prepared to do what is necessary when the time comes.”
Percy’s eyes widened, “You want me to reveal myself? Why? What was the point of even coming here if I was just going to reveal myself a couple months in?”
Sigrún shook her head disapprovingly, “To gain the trust of the Roman demigods. The Olympians pay little attention to their Roman children so infiltrating their camp was a far simpler task than trying to slip into the Greek ranks. If those Greeks or Romans want to survive this war then they will have to accept you or they will all fall when Hel unleashes her worst on the world.”
Percy listened intently to her words before he glanced out into the sea. He liked being in Camp Jupiter. It was the first place that had welcomed him in as one of their own. Revealing himself could ruin all he had worked for, the friends he had made and the respect he had gained. The thought of being cast out brought a sharp pain into his chest. He never had a real home, he never really belonged anywhere. This was the closest he had come and even if it was based on a lie, it was still something that meant something to him.
But he also had to think about his real family, the one he had never met, only seeing his grandfather in a dream once, and what he was supposed to do, what he was destined to do in this world. He was a Norse demigod, the last of his kind and he had a duty that needed to be put in front of everything else, the honor of his father to live up to.
He finally turned back to his three adoptive mothers and nodded, “I’ll do what is necessary, rest assured.”
The three immortals nodded as a portal opened up on the beach which Sigrún and Brynhildr walked through before Eir paused and turned back to Percy.
“Choose your companions wisely and you will not lose your home.” She said with a small smile.
Percy couldn’t help but smile back. Eir had always been the kindest and gentlest of his immortal guardians, the one who he went to in times of frustration and despair.
“Perhaps the pretty one you’ve had your eye on for a while.” Eir said with a wink before she stepped into the portal which closed behind her.
Percy’s eyes widened before his cheeks flushed in embarrassment. He shook his head and looked around to make sure the beach was still clear. He raised his hand to the sky as thunder rumbled and lightning flashed. A small blur made its way through the air from the distance in the sea.
He kept his hand raised as the object closed in until a bolt of lightning dropped from the sky connecting with his hand just as his fingers closed around Mjolnir.
He felt the raw power of the godly weapon coursing through his body as lightning danced across his eyes.
Percy grinned, “I’ve missed you baby. I think it’s time to take you out of the attic.”
The weapons glowed for a second before it vanished from his hand as a gray bracelet appeared on his wrist, Mjolnir ready at a moment’s notice.
Percy glanced around before he took off back towards camp at a jog, his mind racing with the information he just learned and what it would mean for him and his life in the near future.
-x-
Percy walked through the streets of New Rome, towards the massive temple of Jupiter. A Senate meeting had just been called and he needed to work quickly. He slipped through the crowds of people and senators making their way towards the senate house.
He looked behind him to make sure he hadn’t missed him before turning back around and catching a teddy bear hanging from a belt in peripheral vision.
Percy ran to his left until he came up behind Octavian before he casually strolled past him.
“Jack!” Octavian yelled.
Percy smirked before turning around, “Oh hey, what’s up Octavian? Heading for the Senate House too? Any idea what this meeting is for?”
Octavian puffed out his chest a little, “Apparently there are rumors of the Titans gathering in Othrys and a possible attack on camp. I’ll have to check the auguries and see what our best course of action is.”
Percy bit back a laugh at the frail kid’s attempts to look big and nodded looking concerned, “That is disturbing news. I’m sure the auguries will show us the best course of action on what to do next.” He said putting a hand on Octavian’s shoulder and focusing on his mind.
Octavian’s eyes glazed over for a second before they cleared and he nodded, “Yes, I am sure they will. I assume I have your support in whatever is revealed as the best action?”
Percy nodded seriously, “Of course. The auguries will guide us on the right path, I am positive.”
Octavian grinned as they made their way into the Senate House. Percy took his seat next to Jason who raised an eyebrow at Percy as he saw him and Octavian make their way in together.
“Really Jack?”
Percy smirked, “What? The guy is harmless. I’m more concerned with that bee buzzing around your head right now than I am with Octavian.”
Jason’s eyes widened as he jumped up warily looking for the bee before Percy started to snicker. Jason punched him hard in the chest.
“Dude, not cool.”
Percy smirked, “Sorry but you’re too easy.”
Jason rolled his eyes before he settled down as Cassie stood from her Praetor’s chair in the front of the Senate.
“It has come to our attention that the Titans are gathering forces near their base on Mount Othrys. We have gathered the Senate to discuss what action we should take if any based on this new information.”
A number of Senators began speaking at once, all trying to have their voice heard. Percy rolled his eyes at this idiotic occurence that plagued every Senate meeting. He slowly stood up waited for the room to quiet. He caught Cassie looking at him before she stood up again.
“ENOUGH!” She yelled over all other sounds in the room. The Senators looked at her expectantly.
“Since Jack was the only one with courtesy to wait to speak, he has the floor.” Cassie said calmly as all eyes turned to Percy.
“Why don’t we skip everyone telling us what they think we should do and just look to the auguries before we discuss our next course of action?”
Cassie smiled and nodded before she turned to Octavian, “Come forth Auger so that you may see what the auguries tell you.”
Octavian rose from his seat with a smug smile on his face. He stopped at a table in the front of the Senate before unhooking the panda pillow attached to his belt and laid it on the table. He slowly drew a dagger from his waist and raised it up before driving it into the stomach of the helpless panda with one fluid motion.
Octavian sifted through the cottony entrails as his eyes seemed to glaze over slightly before his head snapped up.
“A quest!” He said dramatically. “We need a quest to investigate and gather intelligence on the happenings of the Titans.”
Cassie nodded, “Anything else?”
Octavian gazed in the stuffing again before he nodded, “The quest must be led by a child of Venus.”
A number of Senators and Centurions began to shout their arguments only to have Octavian drive his dagger into the table violently as they fell silent again.
“This has been foreseen by me, legacy of Phoebus Apollo and Auger of this legion!” He yelled. “Unless you doubt the validity of the prophecies of Phoebus Apollo then I suggest you remain silent.”
Percy nudged Jason who looked shocked, “See, the little guy’s not so bad.”
Jason frowned, “He works with the skill of his tongue not the skill of his blade. He is a poor Roman.”
Percy shrugged, “Every population needs its warriors and its politicians. Let him have him place as a talker, in Rome, real respect is earned on the battlefield.”
“Jack!” David yelled loudly from the front of the Senate.
Percy’s head snapped as he realized they had called for him more than once, “Yes, Praetor, my apologies.”
David rolled his eyes, “Seeing as you are the highest ranked child of Venus in the legion, we ask that you lead this quest.”
Percy smiled internally, he loved the fact he could manipulate Octavian’s mind so easily.
“It would be an honor to do my duty to protect New Rome and lead this quest. How many companions am I permitted to take?”
David glanced at Octavian who held up two fingers.
“Then if they will join me I will take Centurions Jason and Reyna.” Percy announced loudly.
Cassie stood up and shook her head, “We need at least one Centurion from the Fifth Cohort here to lead your soldiers in case of an attack or battle. Choose another.”
Percy frowned and looked around. He wasn’t going to take another Centurion, they were mostly douchebags and he needed someone he could trust and that he liked. Finally his brained clicked into place and he grinned.
“I will take legionnaire Frank Zhang if he will join me.”
A number of the other Centurions shouted their disagreements with his choice before David raised his hand to silence them.
“The auguries called for Jack to lead this quest and his companions are his to choose. Centurion Reyna, will you join him on the quest?”
Reyna stood up glancing at Percy briefly before nodding, “I will.”
David nodded, “Good, now once we speak to legionnaire Zhang then the quest will be set. You will depart tomorrow and head for the mountain. Be wary of where you travel, your mission is to gather intelligence and report back to camp immediately. If no one has anything to add then I will called this meeting of the Senate of New Rome complete.”
No one spoke but a few glanced at Percy with less than friendly looks.
“Meeting dismissed.” Cassie announced, “Someone summon Zhang here so that we may find out if he is willing to join this quest.”
Percy and Jason made their way out of the Senate House and into the streets of New Rome.
“Sorry bro, I tried to take you along.” Percy said looking apologetically at his friend.
“Someone does have to be here to lead the cohort.” Jason replied with a shrug before he looked curiously at his friend, “I understand Reyna but why Frank? There are a lot of more experienced and skilled legionnaires that you could take.”
Percy nodded, “Yes there are but it seems like a good time for Frank to prove himself. Besides, Frank’s a good guy, he’ll be good company on the trip.”
Jason was silent for a minute before he nodded, “Maybe but I hope you know what you’re doing Jack. This is no little quest; you’ll be walking into the lion’s den, trying to get a look at what might be the most dangerous place in the world right now.”
Percy nodded as he thought about the quest and the warning from his guardians and how it could change everything for him.