Ashraf Alkhairy Holds a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering & Computer Science

Ashraf Alkhairy has a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with highest grades and honors. He has won the Guillemin prize for the best undergraduate thesis in EE Image Coding Using Short-time Fourier Transform Magnitude in 1985.

During his S.M. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Ashraf also wrote a thesis on Identification of Small Continuous-Time Systems and became a Member of Sigma Xi honorary research society in 1988. In 1991, he did his Ph.D. and wrote another thesis on Optimal Product and Manufacturing Process Selection: Issues of Formulation and Methods for Parameter Design. Shortly after his Ph.D., he started working as a teacher and a research assistant at MIT.

Alkhairy completed his Master's in Business Administration from KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia in 2005. His areas of specialization werestrate gic management, finance, and economics, and he was honored by the KFUPM President for continuous academic excellence. His engineering interests include signal and image processing, speech communication, seismic processing, control theory, systems and software engineering.

Currently, Ashraf Alkhairy is a Professor at the King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology (KACST) and has academic interests in electrical engineering and computer science, earth sciences, management and economics.

Ashraf Alkhairy has helped in establishing Computer and Electronics Research Institute and the Industrial Liaison Unit at KACST, and was the head of the department. He was in-charge and co-organizer of a national computer conference, and managed the Speech Science and Technology Center and the Electronics Center. He is the liaison for the US-Saudi governmental agreement on science and technology cooperation, and is the country representative at the US National Science Foundation material network program. He is the head of the International Research Program. Ashraf is a member of the numerous committees, such as Faculty Promotion Policies and Procedures, Science Park, Gas Initiative Technology Transfer, Internal Research and Grants, Scholarship, Employment and Housing.