Yes, this time they shared the burden with five other heroes, all of whom were more than willing to carry their share of the weight but it was a war unlike anything they could have imagined.

In the end, they managed to defeat the primordial goddess of the earth but it came at a great cost.

Annabeth was killed in the final battle.

The battle was lost but in a final effort for vengeance against Percy for surviving Tartarus and sending her back to her slumber, Gaea had one of her minions slay Annabeth as she and Percy led the final charge against Gaea's army.

Driven on by the pain and anguish of seeing the love of his life lying bloody and lifeless on the battlefield, his rage was unfathomable. The gods who witnessed the scene couldn't help but remember the Trojan War and the rage of Achilles which had become just as legendary as his prowess on the battlefield.

Once over, not even his father, the powerful lord of the seas dared try to speak to his son.

After the battle and all of the Olympian forces, demigod and godly, had returned to New York, the gods held another ceremony the elder Greek demigods remembered all too bitterly from the Titan War.

Rewards were offered to the six surviving demigods of the prophecy.

Three chose to accept the gift of immortality from the gods.

Hazel Levesque was given the gift of being granted passage into the Isles of the Blessed instead of returning to Asphodel. The gods had to abide by the ancient laws and short of making her a goddess, nothing could prevent Hazel from returning to her afterlife. Hazel took the honor of admission into the realm of the world's greatest heroes gratefully though her heart was heavy at what she was forced to leave behind.

At hearing Hazel's fate, Frank Zhang walked out of the throne room knowing his one wish had just been shot down by the gods.

That left just one demigod.

And Percy Jackson again chose to pass on immortality.

This time his choice was not met his anger as his first had. The Olympians and his fellow demigods knew that immortality was likely the last thing he wanted.

Instead of asking for another gift, Percy simply declined their offer and remained silent. Many of the gods, his father more than anyone, worried about his state of mind. The grief of Annabeth's death able of be read from his face.

Even the goddess of wisdom could not help but feel pity for the son of her rival. Her own grief cut her deeply and she knew the son of Poseidon hurt just as she did. She had accepted the love her daughter and Percy Jackson shared and had hoped to give them her blessing after the final battle.

Even now, two years later, the goddess often thought about her fallen daughter and the son of the sea. But as her thoughts drifted to her loss and the musings of what could have been, the sound of her father clearing his throat loudly broke her from her memories.

"Do you have an opinion of the problem?" Zeus asked looking at his daughter, his wisest and most trusted child, hoping she would shed some of her wisdom on what actions needed to be taken.

The goddess looked like a deer caught in the headlights. She was always attentive in their meetings and rarely went without her opinion on a matter being heard. But she had been so wrapped up in her thoughts of the past, she had missed her father's words.

"The attacks on the demigod camps." Poseidon added quickly. "We surely must take action. We cannot leave our children to fend for themselves; not after the last two wars, not after losing so many of them in the past conflicts."