Ch. 18

Ch. 18

Everyone in the camp seemed to be staring at Nico. The son Hades looked like he was ready to turn into a shadow himself when Percy stood up. Everyone watched him as he approached Nico.

Frank sucked in a breath, this is awkward, he thought to himself, remembering the last time he saw Nico and how Percy pretty much accused him of being obsessed about him in front of the entire Olympian Council.

"Nico," Percy began but stopped when he saw the look he got in return.

Frank cleared his throat and looked at Reyna who seemed confused why it was so awkward between Percy and the son of Hades. She caught his look and nodded, sending the Legion back to the barracks with a promise of explanation later. Though they weren't thrilled, the legionnaires knew better than to disobey an order from their praetor.

Once the legionnaires were gone and only the small group of Percy, Clarisse, Frank, Reyna and Nico remained, Percy put a hand on Nico's shoulder only to be shoved hard, sending him stumbling backwards.

"Don't touch me," he hissed. Only Percy and Frank seemed to understand his anger.

"Dude, I'm sorr..." Percy started but the withering glare Nico sent him seemed to make his throat close up.

"I didn't come here for you, I came to help the Legion."

Reyna took a step towards Nico, holding her hands up in a placating manner. "And we're grateful Nico, but why are you so angry?"

Nico shot a look of distaste towards Percy but didn't respond. Reyna eyed Percy, waiting for an explanation but he seemed to just have remembered the heads of Tyson and Ella lay on the ground like discarded garbage. He knelt down next to the box and looked like he was about to put the decapitated appendages back in the box before Frank pulled him back with a hand on his shoulder. Clarisse grabbed the box and carefully placed the decapitated heads inside and started back towards the city to get them away from Percy as quickly as possible.

There would be a time to mourn Tyson and Ella but this wasn't it.

"Nico," Percy started softly. "I thought you were trying to kill my little brother and sister. What I said was so far over the line, I understand if you hate me. I'm not going to make any excuses, I was a jackass, plain and simple."

Nico continued to glare at Percy, "That's a bit of an understatement," he seemed to think for a second, "and for the record, I'm already with someone. Don't flatter yourself by thinking I would care enough to hurt children over you."

Percy rubbed the back of his head, "Yeah, I kinda realized that about ten seconds after you left the throne room."

Reyna was looking back and forth between the two, wondering what in the name of Pluto they were talking about. She would have asked but Frank just looked at her and shook his head indicating this was not the time to ask. She stayed silent but planned to get an answer from Percy first chance she got. Nico was one of her few personal friends and it sounded like whatever was going on between them had to do with Percy being a jerk.

"Whatever," Nico grumbled. "We have bigger problems than you being an ass." He turned to Reyna, "We need to talk."

They ended up back at Reyna's home, in her living room. She made some coffee but everyone other than Nico was already too worked up for caffeine. Once Clarisse arrived, they all sat down to hear what Nico knew.

"So who is this guy Nico?" Frank finally asked, anxious to find out what they were up against.

Nico took a long sip of his coffee and set it down on the table and looked up at Percy and Clarisse. "You guys remember all the demigods who joined Kronos during the Titan War?"